Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I've got 4 rooms (plus the den computer itself) of Airtunes in my house at the moment (Two 1st Gen Apple TVs and two Airport Express units). At some point, I had one of my Apple TV units controlling the Airport Express unit in my bedroom, but the problem is now every time I need to reboot the unit, the bedroom speaker is turned ON in the Airtunes settings! I turn it off again, but whenever the unit inevitably needs to be rebooted again, it turns itself right back on by default and that is annoying!

I cannot figure out why changing the setting is not sticking. I also noticed my screensaver setting was getting reset to "off" (which I used to have it set to) when a reboot occurred, but lately it has been saving it, probably because I did some software controlled reboots (through SSH) rather than just waiting for a time when the unit locks up (e.g. testing certain Handbrake settings can lead to the lock-up if the AppleTV doesn't like the setting). But resetting this way is not preserving the changed (Apple TV ONLY) Airtunes setting that I want it to default to. In fact, I don't know why I would ever want it to default a reboot to having multiple sets of speakers turned on. Not only is music playing somewhere where I don't want it to, but you eventually get little "crispy" sound artifacts every-so-often, probably related to it keeping both units in time sync with each other over the network.

Is there some way I can get this unit to remember its airtune speaker setting? I just want it to reboot to only outputting to the Apple TV as a default.

The unit is hacked to run XBMC and Boxee, but I've never had any trouble with my other AppleTV unit. This one also had a problem whereby it was syncing photo albums I was NOT selecting for awhile. I had to eventually un-sync all of them and sync to iPhoto temporarily and then switch back in order to get it to work right again (just un-syncing and re-syncing didn't fix the problem; it copied them right back over again. Deleting a directory even made the Apple TV complain that a sync item didn't exist despite it not being selected in the first place! It would put all the un-selected yet synced photos at the BOTTOM of the list on Apple TV (i.e. non in the regular alphabetical order) so I don't know what was going on there, but I've never seen that problem on the other Apple TV either. Both are using the same hack and the same firmware (latest).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.