unwanted file in finder sidebar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yorkstea, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Yorkstea macrumors newbie

I seem to have dragged a file under places in the finder sidebar. I want to delete it but i cant even highlight it to drag it away.Its driving me crazy! Any ideas?

2. tug macrumors 6502

have you tried right clicking while in the finder sidebar and go into sidebar prefs. and unchecking said folder. this should get rid of it for you.

3. Yorkstea thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep tried that. When i go into sidebar preferences the file doesn't show up!

4. tug macrumors 6502

try going into 'search for' see if you can find it there then move it to trash.

5. Yorkstea thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Yorkstea thread starter macrumors newbie

Done it. Held down cmd key and dragged it away. It disappeared in a puff of smoke. What is that puff of smoke by the way? I've never come across it.
    Thanks tug for your help.

7. tug macrumors 6502

glad ya sorted it mate, the puff of smoke is just a cute animation to alert you to the fact that you have just removed the item from desktop. the item has been put back to its original placing in the finder. you will see the same thing if you drag an icon off the dock. :)

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

A minor technicality perhaps, but the item can't be "put back" to its original place, as it never was located elsewhere. The icons in the Sidebar (and on the Dock) are shortcuts only, not the actual file or application.

9. tug macrumors 6502

agreed. :)