unwanted folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nosmarie, Mar 10, 2009.

1. nosmarie macrumors newbie

i got my mac yesterday and installed office and i already read thru some threads and i guess there is no way to really delete it from your doc. folder huh? also, do we need ichat icons (its stored in my pics) can i delete it or do i need it for some reason and for the ichat logs. how do i get rid of that? thanks! :confused:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can delete either folder, but Office will re-create its own next time it is run.

3. nosmarie thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ic, also is the ichat icons folder necessary? if i delete it will i be deleting anything essential? like smilies? or those images or not needed. also when i go to "all images" i get all these "portable graphic images" i dont need and dont know where they come from. or do i need it? if not how do i get rid of it?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The iChat Icons folder is not actually a folder but an alias (shortcut) to another folder, so you can delete it without problems. Don't delete the contents, though, just the alias that's located in your Pictures folder.

I'm not sure where you're finding these other images.

5. nosmarie thread starter macrumors newbie

what about ichats under my documents? i deleted it but it keeps reappearing.

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Another Idea is to make your own folders.

I didn't want iphoto, photobooth, microsoft messenger data, and other things with my files, so I left them in their default directories.

I created a folder called "Files" and inside that are:
    "Photos"
    "Documents"
    "Apps" -- this is just a folder with Aliases to the apps I use often, and aren't in the dock.

I drag each one to the finder side bar, and drag the old ones out so that they vanish in a puff of smoke. Now you may think it looks ugly with the Generic folder icons on them, rather than the old ones, but there is a solution.

Click the link in my signature below to find information on changing icons in OS X.