Unwanted music when no apps are running?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ry0wn, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Ry0wn macrumors newbie

Ok, so as recently as last week, my computer has been acting strangely. As soon as it starts up the fans will flare for a few seconds, but then they'll go back to how they regularly act. That's not so strange though.
    What's really bothering me is something that I can't explain (which is why I came here). Sometimes, at any random time, no matter how many applications, if any, are open, this odd song will come on. I can't figure out where it's coming from, or why it's coming on. Even after I quit all of my applications, it still goes. It's going right now, and I just quit everything, and restarted finder.

I checked the recent apps, system log, running applications, and everything I could think of, but couldn't find anything that could possibly be making the noise.

This probably isn't important, but it sounds like a 64-bit Nintendo baseball game-tye song.

Can anyone help?

Edit: I also recently cleared my keychains, so I don't think it could be in there.

2. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

is it an ad on a webpage? i've had that happen to me before.

edit: ah i missed that it happens with no apps open. interesting.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It plays while no apps are running? (Except finder, since you cant quite that)

Take a look at activity monitor.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ummm ... that would be funny.

6. Ry0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it wouldn't play if I quit the browser, which I already tried. Plus I don't have any add-ons for any of my browsers.

And yes, it runs while no apps are running I'll take a screenshot, if needed.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Take a screenshot of activity monitor please, the view that lists all processes.

8. Ry0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I found it, it was something on my dashboard. I didn't even think I had anything on my dashboard, lol.

Thanks.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

10. Matari macrumors member

Hi - I was just going to tell you that was probably what it was - happened to me last week and I thought I was going mad! It was the 'blue friends' widget I downloaded - somehow I was clicking it on.