unwanted shut down prompt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by larsalan, Aug 30, 2007.

1. larsalan macrumors newbie

larsalan

i have had this problem in the past and sent my notebook to apple for repair. does anyone know what is causing this...

before my macbook would just "blink" off and i could restart it then eventually it would not even start.

now the problem is different
    the os is often displaying the shut down restart menu at random times.

entering cancel sometimes it stops and sometimes the menu reappears multiple times. and twice the cpu has even "blinked" off.

i have noticed some relationship with the track pad as the unwanted menu appears repeatedly whilst touching the pad or clicking the key. (especially if heavy force is used)

any idea what is source of my problems?

2. greese macrumors newbie

I don't have an answer for you but my wife and I share a Mac Pro and she has been seeing the same thing lately. See said she will be typing or reading an email and it will pop up the shutdown prompt. I have not seen it happen at all while I am on.

I have just started looking into it. if i find an answer, I will post.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm just going to make a guess, but have no idea if it's a good guess. It sounds like it could be a battery issue. I think when the shutdown menu appears, it does so because it thinks it's almost out of power and so wants to shut off. This could in part be related to your prior problem.

I'm not sure if the shutdown menu actually shows up when at very low battery power. It's been a while since I've tried something like that. Well that's my thought. Maybe it'll spur ideas from others.

4. larsalan thread starter macrumors newbie

larsalan

here is what happened

so in case anyone wonders what was the fix?
    i dunno why but the wimpy 512 ram in this macbook was not cutting it or burned out whatever, 2g ssd 667mhz ram and now there is no problem.