unwanted software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CallsignBaron, Apr 28, 2007.

1. CallsignBaron macrumors member

Hello all,
    Mac noob here, recently bought my first mac, 20" iMac and loving it but have found some unwanted hidden software. I wanted to open a jpeg in my pictures folder but I wanted to open it in Photoshop rather than the default Preview, so I did control-click on the jpeg and selected 'Open with' and was surprised to see the web browser Opera in the list. Also there were 2 versions of Opera, 9.01 and 9.02. I chose to open with Opera and sure enough they are there-both versions! :eek: Now I did NOT install Opera, it is not listed in Applications and I cant find where or how to remove it. Does anybody have this? Is there any other hidden software I'm not aware of?? help greatly appreciated.
    Baron

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this an Intel or a PowerPC Mac? On PPCs, I believe Opera is bundled as the browser for Classic mode, which means it's in a second folder of applications for OS 9 that's at the root of the HD.

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Have you ever installed Flash (not Flash Player)? I think Opera comes with Flash

4. brandon6684 Guest

Just curious, does Opera actually run if you choose it? Might be some sort of bug that somehow made it think Opera was installed.

5. CallsignBaron thread starter macrumors member

This is a new Intel Mac
    I have not installed flash
    and Yes opera will launch and is very usable, both versions (9.01 & 9.02)

But I cannot find the program to delete it. I have found a folder for Opera in both Application Support and Preferences in my Library but I can't find the app. :confused:

6. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

To find the App:

1) Open App
    2) in dock select with right mousebutton: show in finder

( Or use spotlight! )

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

so Opera isn't showing up in the Applications folder? where does it show up when do a Spotlight search for it?

8. CallsignBaron thread starter macrumors member

Got it, thanks. Spotlight could not find the app, it found the preferences file but not the app and no it was not listed in the applications folder. However, after launching Opera then doing control-click in the dock & selecting 'show in finder' (as matthew24 advised) I've found the app. :)
    Apparently it is installed as part of Adobe Photoshop CS3 in Bridge and Device Central. It is the embedded browser those apps use to access the web. Thanks for all the help folks. Much appreciated!
    Baron

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Yes that's correct, when installing Photoshop, I think from version... CS up, maybe even prior, it installs Opera automatically - for what, I don't know really.