Unwanted tabs keep popping up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goldengirl44, May 16, 2017.

1. Goldengirl44 macrumors newbie

I'm new here so I hope I have this posted in the right forum.

I have a really BIG problem. Several days ago I started getting some added tabs that I did not request. They are any where from "update flash player" to really nasty R rated tabs. Of course I never open them but I don't know why this all started. And it's getting worse. I use Chrome if that's any help.

I hope someone here can help me get rid of this. I would appreciate it so much.

Goldengirl

2. Goldengirl44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, thank you so much. I'll do that right now!!!

3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

4. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Sometimes a problem could be that OP started to visit some websites which are loaded with ads, including those which open the new windows and/or new tabs. Just telling you that a problem is not always the malware...

5. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Know about the window.open functionality of JavaScript and how some sites abuse it. Just wondering if the OP had any updates they could or would share.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "Of course I never open them but I don't know why this all started. And it's getting worse. I use Chrome if that's any help."

My opinion only:
    STOP using Chrome, and use Safari instead.
    If you need another browser, try Firefox and Opera, or Vivaldi.

7. Goldengirl44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well...I am very embarrassed because I neglected to get back here to report that "keysofanxiety"'s suggestion absolutely solved my problem. I am so grateful.

8. Goldengirl44 thread starter macrumors newbie

A little late....but thank you so much for your suggestion and it solved my problem!!!!!

9. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Decided to get MWB and test my desktop. It came up clean. Very happy about that.

10. ZapNZs, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

As you use Chrome, consider the extensions Ublock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, WebOfTrust, and BitDefender TrafficLight - this will benefit your security/increase your privacy, greatly reduce the number of unwanted ads, and warn you of websites that may contain malware (most of which, in regards to Macs but not Windows, is harmless-but-annoying adware & scareware)

Also, be sure not to open random programs (.dmg files) that download into your Downloads folder. Some try to appear legit such as "Adobe Flash Update" or "FlashPlayer.dmg", but are actually adware. Some websites will try to trick you by claiming you need to download a file (for example, a Flash Update), prompting you to click on a link that downloads the deceptive file. If you do not open these files, they are unable to do a single thing to your system. So, if you are not sure of the identity of the source of the download, don't open it.

Additionally, add-on extensions like WOT and TrafficLight do a good job at telling you when you are on a site known for deception/malware. uBlock will help block the number of deceptive ads that attempt to spoof you into downloading a file, calling fake tech support, etc. Obviously, they will not totally eliminate the threats/annoyances, but they will reduce them.

For example...in my downloads folder, several files downloaded automatically from streaming websites:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 11.38.06 AM.png

11. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

WOT was reported recently to be less than trustworthy and Firefox disabled the plug-in. I've removed it myself. Would like to know how others feel because it was highly useful.

Regarding opening random items in my downloads folder, doesn't happen. If I didn't download it, it doesn't get opened. It helps that I put specific files in different folders so applications are placed in an apps folder, graphic apps in a graphics folder, etc. If there are PKG or DMG files in just downloads, they get deleted.