Unwanted Updates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GovtLawyer, May 11, 2010.

1. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

I am constantly being prompted by OSX (Snow Leopard) to upgrade. The problem is some of the upgrades are for programs I don't use; i.e. GarageBand, iPhoto, remote access, etc. It seems that I do not have the ability to simply say no. I am either given a choice of installing or "not now." If I do the "not now: than I can be sure I'll be prompted again. Is there anyway to shut off the nagging reminders for those programs I never use?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you tried "Ignore Update..." on the Update menu?

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

^That's when Software Update is running. You can wait for it, or force it to check and then "ignore" items to your heart's content.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They need a "hide update" option, which you can unhide when you want.

5. Lord Vader macrumors 6502a

Lord Vader

It will be easier just to install the updates. Can't hurt right?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Right there. Same exact thing (there's a "Reset Ignored Updates" option in the menu too, so you can go back and do them later).

jW

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, not on my Mac right now, but I've never used that.

8. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Well, like many little gems in OSX, I was able to turn off the specific updates, but only after you all showed me how. I love the Mac, but there are so many little features which are not readily apparent, yet are there if you can find them.

Thanks for your help.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Me too. I just never explored the actual menus to see all that.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Now, can someone tell me how to use the other 90% of my brain?? ;)

11. JohnInNC macrumors newbie

what "Update Menu"? Where is it?

I always thought Adobe was the worst for annoying "update needed" interruptions. Now Snow Leopard is giving Adobe a run for their money in the race to annoy me. I have been bedeviled by the App Store for several weeks, telling me I needed to install some updates for iPhoto, or iMovie or even OSX, none of which are critical, and none of which I want. (Why would I want even MORE integration with Timesuck, I mean Facebook?) The worst was the 45 minute automatic download for an iPhoto update (in which I had no choice), which then told me I'd have to wait more than an hour while it reformatted my iPhoto libraries or something. *GAH!*

So I figured out how to turn off the automatic downloads (System Preferences --> Software Updates --> unclick "Download newly available updates in the background.").

But I cannot find what y'all are talking about -- the elusive "Update Menu." Can someone please help me understand where this is?

Thanks in advance (and apologies for all my complaining).

John

12. simsaladimbamba

Are you sure, you are using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? Maybe you use OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, which is more probable, if you purchased your Mac recently. Thus there is probably no such menu anymore, as Apple software prior to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has been updated via :apple: > Software Update (its own application) and not the Mac App Store (MAS).
    Maybe look in the MAS preferences for some settings?

13. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Updates to OS X are likely to contain Security fixes, and these are something that you should want, if you don't want to be at risk from malware. Most of the changes are not listed in the Apple brief description, so you can't be certain which are "critical" and which aren't. Very few, if any, updates are entirely cosmetic with no underlying bug fixes.

Similarly, if you use iPhoto (which it seems you do), then you should welcome updates, which are likely to include bug fixes as well as enhancements and new features.

With the OS X Updates, you can at least choose to install them whenever you like, so you can install them while you're away from your computer. It is also possible in some versions of OS X to download the updates and have them install when you shutdown, which minimizes the inconvenience.

My particular pet hate is apps that check for updates when they launch. If I launch it, I want to get on and use it, and having to install then (or else risk forgetting about the update) is a nuisance. But I still welcome the updates for the bug fixes they contain.

14. leman macrumors G3

If you don't use GarageBand and the like, why not simply delete it in the first place?

15. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

IMO it's always best to just install any update offered by Apple. Even for apps you don't use, because you may need them some day ;)