Unzipping Annoyance

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Another Leopard annoyance, when ever I unzip a file it unzips on top of the .zip file. Refer to attachment. Anyone else find this annoying?

snverhallen

Attachments

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Another Leopard annoyance, when ever I unzip a file it unzips on top of the .zip file. Refer to attachment. Anyone else find this annoying?

snverhallen
I assume Apple did this so that people could see where their zip filed unzipped to. Before the directory used to open somewhere random on the desktop, which if you have a lot of desktop items can be hard to spot. Quite smart if you think of it that way. ;)

Comment

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I assume Apple did this so that people could see where their zip filed unzipped to. Before the directory used to open somewhere random on the desktop, which if you have a lot of desktop items can be hard to spot. Quite smart if you think of it that way. ;)
You don't have your desktop snapping to a grid, if you are at the desktop with nothing else selected, hit Command+J and you can set up things like the grid spacing, icon size, font size, ordering... all that jazz.

Comment

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
This happens even with the desktop set to snap to grid. I love it; it's one of the tiny features in Leopard I think are really cool. No more visually searching the desktop to find where the unzipped folder landed.

I wish the same thing happened with .dmg files and the resulting mounted volume icon.

Comment

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
kostia said:
This happens even with the desktop set to snap to grid. I love it; it's one of the tiny features in Leopard I think are really cool. No more visually searching the desktop to find where the unzipped folder landed.

I wish the same thing happened with .dmg files and the resulting mounted volume icon.
On my desktop it doesnt do that for me, i've got all my stuff set to snap to grid.

Comment

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Mine does that and I have snap to grid on. It's annoying to me too.

Comment

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Oh well, I don't put stuff on my desktop... and when i unpack something with Unarchiver I have the zip thrown in the trash anyway.

Comment

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
This is really odd to see all the different results. It seems everyones Leopard has a mind of it's own, in terms of all the different results!?

snverhallen

Comment

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Well I have snap to grid on and just downloaded something that I then manually unziped.

Maybe its a Safari download thing? The "open safe files" setting? Mine is off.

Either way, I like it A LOT. While I never save the archives, its nice to see right where it unzipped to.

Attachments

Comment