Unzipping multiple zip files

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theslaz, Feb 9, 2015.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Running a Imac with Yosemite ( 10.10.2). Just recently I've been having problems unzipping multiple zip files. I'm used to seeing these multiple zip files; eg 22 zip files and 1 rar file. Just select the rar file; decompress that rar file; and voila; I have what i want. But; what seems to be happening; is that there is no one rar file! Recently I had 22 zipped files; they were named 00 to 21. I highlight the files and tell my program to decompress. The program does this; but it creates 22 folders; each folder with one rar file in it. These rar files are also numbered 00 to 21. Than the only way I can decompress these 22 rar files is to retrieve each one from it's folder and place them all in a new folder. Than I can select them and decompress. This works. But there has to be an easier way to do this????

This is a list of the programs I have used to try and do this:
    Unarchiver
    Archiver Utility
    Betterzip
    Calibre
    Keka
    Stuffit Expander
    Rar Expander
    Rar Genie
    Unrar X

2. Waragainstsleep macrumors regular

Sounds like you're missing a file from the set. Where are these coming from? (I'm going to guess something like rapidgator?)

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Its P2P files. It hasn't just been one file. I have had numerous ones that are this way. I could see it if it was just one; then, yes, maybe one was missed. But I've had a pile.

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Welcome to you can't do it. I've been looking for a solution to this for years. In windows winrar does this easily. On mac, no app I have found. What I do is use keka or even the stock archiver and let it make all the separate folders out of multiple zips. Then I use the free app "Easy Find", and I right click the folder where all these sub folders have been extracted and choose "find" in that folder only from the Finder right click Service menu. Then I simply search for .rar. Then I just drag all the rar files into the same folder and then run the unrar with whatever rar extractor you like which works fine. This method is very much quicker that dragging each zip extracted rar to a folder manually.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think that myself; as I have searched and searched; and I have found nothing that will work. Its not a real problem when there are only 2 or 3 zip files; but it gets annoying when there 20 or 30. I knew that Winrar could do it; but the only Mac version of Winrar uses a command line (terminal). I'd prefer to stay away from that.
    I will try your method and see how it works. I think I will be happy!