Uograde macbook hard disk without recovery disk

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by porknight, Apr 10, 2009.

1. porknight macrumors newbie

Good morning everybody , Next year when snow leopard will be released I was thinking to upgrade my poor 60gb hard disk to something more probably to a 320 one, but I got one problem I lost my recovery disk and actually I don't really need it as you know Tiger is very stable.

When my old macbook will have inside the new hard disk do I need to reinstall tiger then upgrade it to snow leopard or I can directly install snow leopard?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

No you should be able to directly install Snow Leopard. Apple does not ship upgrade versions. When you buy an OS disc it contains the full version of the OS.

3. porknight thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

what kornyboy said. plus, i'd install snow leopard onto your current drive, then use an application called Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current HDD onto the 320. i'd do this instead of installing snow leopard onto the new disk, since you'll lose your preferences and the apps that you've installed. you can migrate that stuff, but it's a pain in the butt.

5. porknight thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds great I think is the best solution !

thanks mate