up date from Mac OS X 10.5.8

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mandilindup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. mandilindup macrumors newbie

I cannot seem to update from mac os x version 10.5.8. When I ask for a software update it says that there are no up dates from my computer and yet my mobile me account no longer communicates with my computer as I need 10. something or other to sort the problem. I am not sure what to do. Any advice?

2. session101 macrumors regular

you need to find SL 10.6 disks, unless you want lion
    i think the update only covers 10.5.x, if you upgrade to 10.6 you can update it to 10.6.x

3. mandilindup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. What are SL disks? Sorry am not very computer savvy. But I love my mac and am confused. Do I have to buy Lion? You seem to know what you are talking about :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. mandilindup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx
    So I need to up date to SL=Snow Leopard or OSX 10.6? What is the difference between these and Lion?
    Have looked up up dates on apple and all I can find is Lion ...

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Software update will not move you from 10.5 to 10.6; you have to buy the new version. 10.6 is Snow Leopard and Lion is 10.7.

7. session101 macrumors regular

when you get or buy snow leopard 10.6, you can use update software in Snow Leopard to update your snow leopard osx 10.6, you still need to buy/get Snow leopard via disks/usb first

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If you don't mind me asking, do you know if your Mac has a Core 2 Duo or a Core Duo processor? If it has a Core Duo, pick up a Snow Leopard disc for $29 from somewhere. If it has a Core 2 Duo processor, it might be worth it to get the USB flash drive from Apple to upgrade to Lion.