Up the creek without a paddle!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by playa, May 18, 2012.

1. playa macrumors newbie

Hi All,

My first time doing this on my own and looks like I've really screwed up! Have a 4.0.1 iPhone4 unlocked & jb and decided it was finally time to update it.

Backed up all my info/apps but did not back up baseband or save hashes. Updated to latest firmware thru iTunes then used redsn0w to jailbreak. Worked fine until I unlocked it and now it's stuck on the booting up screen.

Now that I realize I've messed up in multiple ways, is there any hope of fixing this and getting my SIM working again?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

2. gd6 macrumors member

Your baseband was upgraded, and baseband's cannot be downgraded, even if you would have saved your shsh.

There is no current way to unlock your phone now. Those of us here in the US on AT&T can request that our carrier unlock the phone if the contract has been fulfilled. You have to have an att account or ask someone who has one to request the unlock for you.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If your baseband is 4.12.xx, there is no software or hardware unlock and none is expected.
    You can check with official carrier who sold the phone for IMEI unlock.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would have been easier if you asked questions and posted here before you tried anything.
    Always research and ask questions untill you're 100% sure what you're doing. Only takes one mistake and you're stuck without an unlock.

5. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

+100 This is my first stop whenever I have a question about restoring or anything that could easily put me "Up a creek without a paddle"!

6. playa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies - could you elaborate on the 'none expected'? You mean apple has finally found a way to stop people from unlocking?

And to sum up, I now just have a very expensive ipod touch?! ;)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you're pretty much stuck with an ipod touch for now.
    You can always sell it and then buy a factory unlocked iphone.
    About the unlock there's nothing in the works for the i4 now but you never know what might come out in the future.
    But to me its not worth sitting there and waiting for an unlock and not beeing able to use it as a phone. It could be weeks or many months down the road. Noone knows if or when.

8. gd6 macrumors member

Are you in the US? There are some carriers in the US such as straight talk have much better monthly plans that will work with AT&T locked phones. There may be similar things in other countries as well.

9. playa thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, well thanks for the info. I've got a Canadian iphone in Mexico, so I guess I'll go back to my old cheap cell and watch for any changes on the updates front.

10. noiceT macrumors 6502a

I would sell it as soon as you can, and try and use that money toward something new. Even though iphones hold their value well, its getting into summer (June), and the longer you hold it, the lower the value will be.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

your only hope is to contact the original carrier and see if they will unlock it. like others said research and learning only benefits you. ;)

12. playa thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, any way to determine who the original carrier is so that I can sell it? I bought it unlocked second hand so no clue who it's locked to!

13. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

14. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

If you have a friend on the Canadian carrier or know anyone, you can request the IMEI unlock through them if they call up the carrier. Otherwise, you can wait a couple months to see if a Gevey for iPhone 4 5.x comes out. There may be some value in the iPhone, and all iPhone 4S GSM versions can be unlocked with Gevey, which would only cost you about $150 more than buying a locked iPhone 4.

15. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

because the iPhone is locked to a Canadian Carrier the odds of you ever getting them to unlock are next to 0 because of their policies and only ROGERS & Fido offers the unlocking option and that too is next to impossible due to their stupid policy/requirements to be eligible. Your out of luck and as for "watch for any changes on the updates front" don't waste your time....really its next to hopeless having that iPhone unlocked now...speaking from software options which is next to never going to come our way and as for hardware....well that is also dead now pretty much....so your better off selling and putting in a little bit more money to get a iPhone that works.