Up the RAM and SSD or new computer?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Devie, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I currently have a 27" iMac with the following:

2.93GHz i7
    4GB 1333 MHz RAM
    ATi Radeon HD 5750 1GB
    1TB HDD

To me it feels like its starting to show its age, definitely compered to using computers with an SSD.

So I was wondering if it was more beneficial for me to just get it up to 8 or 16GB of RAM (any recommendations on that?) and throw in a SSD to get a few more years out of this thing.

I dont have any real performance qualms with it in CPU intensive tasks as I dont really do any, but the GPU is now pretty redundant as I do enjoy some vidya.

2. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

More RAM and an SSD would do wonders for that iMac.

Like you said the CPU is still perfectly capable, with a RAM and SSD upgrade the GPU would be the only thing holding back the machine. Which is unfortunate but we are talking about a 2009 iMac in 2013, with a 5750 and 1440p display it was never going to be a gaming machine and that will only show more with age.

If you don't particularly need a lot GPU power I think it would be well worth keeping the machine and upgrading, it should feel a lot faster :)

3. Giuly, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

4GB of RAM is anemic. Add 16GB of Crucial 1333MHz DDR3 and turn it into 20GB.

And if you're still not satisfied, add a SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD. Don't bother with anything faster as your Mac only supports SATA-II anyways and this is among the fastest drive you can get for it, yet being one on the least expensive drives around.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Ram would help and is easy to install. Installing an SSD take a bit more work and you should look at the directions for opening up your iMac for changing disks.

What SSD to get depends on if they plan on using it with the next system they get.

5. Devie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys I've put an order down for 16gb of ram and see how that will go before adding the SSD.

Successfully swapped hdd in a MBA, swapped a motherboard in a mbp... I should be ok :). iFixit is like gold.