up-to-date... if i wait, will the disc be 10.6.1?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bryantm3, Aug 27, 2009.

1. bryantm3 macrumors regular

i've just checked the apple website and apparently there are a few issues with the new OS; for example, the HP OfficeJet G85 is currently not supported by any drivers in the new OS... which means trouble for me. if i just wait a month or two once 10.6.1 comes out, will i get an outdated disc with the up-to-date program?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The up to date disc will probably only have 10.6.0 on it.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

there's also a time limit on ordering the up-to-date disk. I don't remember what it is though.

4. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i dont think 10.6.1 would even solve your problem. Its a separate printer driver update that would fix it

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Nope.

They tend to hold off on making new discs for quite a while.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@ old-wiz: Time frame for cashing in on the Up-To-Date program is 90 days after the purchase of the eligible unit or December 26, 2009, whichever is sooner according to the up-to-date website.

7. BigAus macrumors member

just buy it now and install when you are happy with software updates

8. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Printer drivers are downloaded from the Internet on demand.

For Leopard, new versions of the disc were produced for 10.5.2, 10.5.4 and 10.5.6.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The UTD offer is only good for 90 days after you buy your computer so I don't see any logic in waiting. Yes, the UTDs may come w/ 10.6.1 in 90 day, but maybe not. It would depend on how many 10.6. discs Apple initially ordered and whether it meets its distribution expectations. Regardless the update will always be available via d/l so no real read to wait.

Also, one of your "issues," the lack of a driver for your printer, is controlled by HP. Apple won't include the driver unless HP gives it to them. I'd contact HP and ask if they intent to support your printer. My guess is that the list of supported printers now, is THE list of supported printers, except for new products released today and after.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Fixed. Not the UTD disc.

11. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

like someone else said, just wait until the update comes out. Chances are that apple has already printed a zillion of the UTD discs and will send them all out. What does it matter if it has 10.6.1?