Up to date program + new MacBook Pro 13" bought today

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I'm buying a 13" MacBook Pro today. Since it seems the consensus is that I won't get a SL disk automatically when it arrives, nor will I have it pre-installed, I'm going to go via the up to date program.

You pay the $9.99 for the shipping, right? If I buy the MacBook Pro and include the disk with it, it'll be free, right, as it will all be shipped together?

Call me cheap but I'm not impressed that I have to pay $10 when Snow Leopard was announced today and Apple claims the $10 is for shipping anyway...

2. newcronos macrumors regular

No, the shipping is $4 extra for ground (the cheapest). My total charge ended up being $14.72 after tax + shipping.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Why not just but it on friday then? It doesnt make sense to order it so close to friday.

If it takes longer than friday for shipping then they might put the disc in.
    In the USA its 9.99 plus tax, no other additional charges.

4. newcronos macrumors regular

Yes I'm in the USA

Order Details
    Product Name Product Number Unit Price Qty Subtotal

MAC OS X SNOW LEOPARD UTD FULFILL-INT MC204Z/A $9.95 1 $9.95
    Ships: September

GROUND SHIPPING GRNDSHIP01 $4.00 1 $4.00

Subtotal $13.95
    Sales Tax $0.77
    Total Price $14.72

5. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

So wait until Friday and buy the MacBook Pro. You can't expect them to give you a free copy of their new OS just because they announced their release date. That's like buying a PC and expecting to get Windows 7 for free just because Microsoft announced the release date.

and that's odd newcronos, my Up-To-Date program totalled $10.87 for shipping to Seattle... no extra shipping charges, and it has the shipping date for "Ships: Delivers on August 28th", which implies it will be at my doorstep awaiting my signature on Friday.

6. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

If they're shipping it to people who pre-ordered it, it should be shipped on my machine as well...

I don't want to wait another week. >_>

7. newcronos macrumors regular

:(

This shouldn't make any difference but I just did it this morning after I heard the confirmation that it will be released August 28th.

8. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I'm in the same boat. Bought my new MBP at around 9 this morning so I missed the announcement.

After dropping $2k on this machine I'm not overly pleased about getting nickel and dimed for an extra $10.

I thought about waiting until Friday or returning it Friday, but I drove to NH to avoid tax....

9. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Are you buying the MBP in-store or via Apple.com? And what type of shipping did you get?

Depending on the shipping, it might be more convenient for you to just wait and buy the MBP in-store on Friday honestly. If it's standard shipping, there's the chance that you may not get your MBP delivered until Friday, or even Monday...

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Yours is messed up then or you did something wrong when you ordered it. The 9.95 is supposed to be "for" shipping and handling since theyre pretending the disc is free, so it doesnt make sense to charge regular shipping. Mine was $10.34 for "standard shipping"

11. CWillCalho macrumors newbie

Up to date

I bought a MacBook Pro last week and ordered Snow Leopard this morning, not knowing about the $9.95 program. I just got off the phone with Apple and in order to credit me the difference, I have to send the product back once I get it and go through paperwork to get the proper $9.95 price. This to me stinks, as all they should have to do is credit my credit card. They say because it's in process to be shipped they can't do anything. Bah Humbug!

12. newcronos macrumors regular

This is strange. What the heck did I order this morning then?

I also remember that it was strange that I wasn't asked to qualify my system although I've seen that screen before about a month ago, I just didn't go through with it.

Does the item type looks right though? As shown above it's: MC204Z/A

13. highertechnology macrumors 6502

In AZ, I paid $10.69 shipped.

And yes it is MC204Z/A.

BTW on my order status, it still says ships: September....