Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Sorry to be so clueless...

I want to send in for a rebate from Amazon, and they require:

"a copy of the original UPC code from the product."

OK, here's the problem... all I know about the UPC code is that it's a bar thingie... now, if there was just one such bar, no problemo, but there's like 50 of them in the 3 boxes the actual iBook came in...

So, there's the FIRST OUTERMOST box from Amazon with the Amazon logo that UPS actually delivered to me... on this box there are several bars:

1) there are 2 bars on the label from UPS... I assume irrelevant
2) there is 1 bar on the label from Amazon... I assume irrelevant

Now we're on to the SECOND BROWN BOX, inside the first Amazon box:

3) *big* yellow bar plastered on with a string of numbers starting with "ts"
4) a white label with 3 bars:
a) just a bar with various numbers but no letters - maybe this is the one??
b) a bar above of which it says: "(1P)Part No. M9846LL/A" - I guess that's my iBook model number - prolly irrelevant (?)
c) a bar above which it says: "Serial No. 4Hxxxxxxxxx" - prolly irrelevant(?)

Finally we're on to the WHITE APPLE BOX, on which it has:

5) A white label with several bars:
d) first bar the same as in point 4)a) above, just a bar with various numbers but no letters - my spidy sense says this is the one :)
e) the same bar as in 4)b), the model # of my iBook - irrelevant(?)
f) the same bar as in 4)c), the serial number - irrelevant(?)
g) a skinny bar with airport ID number - irrelevant
h) a skinny bar with Ethernet ID number - irrelevant
i) a skinny bar with BlueTooth ID number - irrelevant
6) A huge white label from Apple where the handle is on the box, which lists the specs of the machine and on the lower right side of the label there's one code with a bunch of numbers under it ending with the letter A - I assume irrelevant

OK, so... which one is the UPC code?

So far, I've cut out from the second brown box (i.e. the one inside the Amazon box) - I cut out labels 3) and 4) above... and my preliminary plan is to sent this big axx cut out in, and let them sort it out... unless someone here knows for sure... FWIW (next to 0... :( ), my guess is that the UPC code is the 4)a) (same as 5)d)) number... thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

OldCorpse
suddenly revived but still looking for missing brain

P.S. I hope my question is not totally useless - quite a few folks bought this deal from Amazon, and may have the same q's about the UPC code... of course, maybe I'm just a mongo...

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Just send 'em all.
that's what I do when I can't tell what's going on.

It would be from the White Apple Box, BTW

probably the one that has your spidey sense tingling.. but if more than one makes your spidey sense go off, send them all!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
katie ta achoo said:
Just send 'em all.
that's what I do when I can't tell what's going on.

It would be from the White Apple Box, BTW

probably the one that has your spidey sense tingling.. but if more than one makes your spidey sense go off, send them all!

Yes,

Everything on the White apple box should have you covered. I would think 5 (minus the serial or airport numbers) would be the way to go, and 6 wouldn't hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.