Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

beats_screenshot-250x518.jpg
Ahead of the introduction of Apple's new streaming music platform, Financial Times has shared some key details about the service, confirming it will be called simply "Apple Music." With the launch of the service, Apple will be largely abandoning its iTunes branding, using the name only for the online store.

As has been previously shared, Apple will not be offering a freemium ad-supported listening tier like Spotify, and will charge $9.99 per month for the service. Apple plans to draw customers in by offering a three-month free trial, much longer than the 30 days competing services offer.

Apple's new music service is built upon Beats Music, its existing subscription service that it acquired last year. Apple executives heavily lauded Beats Music's emphasis on human curation and customization, with many of the features in Beats Music remaining in the new streaming service. For example, the new music service will continue to ask users to select favorite musical genres and styles, and paired with recommendations from artists, Apple hopes to help listeners discover songs.

Apple's iTunes Radio is also being revamped and potentially renamed, as it is being positioned as a free companion service to Apple's streaming music offering. We have previously heard that Apple's new version of iTunes Radio will be aimed primarily at users who are not in the United States, serving as a gateway service to entice people to pay for music.

Apple plans to use well-known DJs and celebrities to present music on its new radio service, and has hired several BBC Radio DJs like Zane Lowe to market the service in Europe.
Some of the celebrities who were photographed wearing Apple Watches ahead of its launch earlier this year, such as rapper Drake, will soon be acting as DJs on Apple's new radio service, which will emphasise the personal tastes of artists over using algorithms to curate music, as Pandora does.
Apple plans to unveil its new music service at its WWDC keynote, taking place on Monday. The new streaming service and the new radio service will both be built into the revamped Music app introduced in iOS 8.4.

Article Link: Upcoming 'Apple Music' Streaming Service to Include Three-Month Free Trial

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Okay I'll bite, but iTunes Radio never worked right and iTunes Match is a never-ending mess. I listen to all my music on Spotify now, except for SomaFM Drone Zone and Blue Mars Cryosleep which are streaming stations I listen to through iTunes.

Reactions: duncansby

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Then they got 3 months to get it right. We all know this will be riddled with bugs, being this is the New Apple. So 3 months time should be plenty, and ends right when iPhone 6S+ launches.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I hope this is a terrific service. 90 days free trial is impressive. However, I would think Apple will dominate the space quickly simply by embedding it into iOS... much like how Maps became the dominate mapping app on iOS by Apple deciding it shall be the default. No faulting 3 months to try it out... just saying it seems like they would get huge share by simply doing the Internet Explorer thing vs. Netscape (make it the default with the OS). For those so hungry for this, I hope you like it!

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Still interested to see Apple release an Android app. I think I'll go rewatch the introduction of iTunes for Windows just to prepare.

Edit: Also, "With the launch of the service, Apple will be largely abandoning its iTunes branding, using the name only for the online store." Holy crap! We're living in the future.

TyShawn

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
I'm still not hearing much about a family plan. I don't see paying 30-50 in music depending on the size of a family. For me it would be 30.00 just to stream music... I think once again I'll pass (people complain about cable rates).

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
While iTunes Radio will supposedly be worldwide, I wouldn't count Apple Music out for the Canadian market, for those who are thinking that the implication is that Canada will not get the service. As far as the music industry is concerned, Canada is usually absorbed into the United States from the label's standpoint - in terms of records sold and royalties payable to artists. I can't imagine that, when negotiating with the majors, a grant of permission to Apple for the United States would not include Canada. However, that isn't to say that Canada hasn't been screwed out of the initial release of other Apple services in the past.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
While iTunes Radio will supposedly be worldwide, I wouldn't count Apple Music out for the Canadian market, for those who are thinking that the implication is that Canada will not get the service. As far as the music industry is concerned, Canada is usually absorbed into the United States from the label's standpoint - in terms of records sold and royalties payable to artists. I can't imagine that, when negotiating with the majors, a grant of permission to Apple for the United States would not include Canada. However, that isn't to say that Canada hasn't been screwed out of the initial release of other Apple services in the past.

but canada never even got iTunes Radio after all these years, did it?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
I'm still not hearing much about a family plan. I don't see paying 30-50 in music depending on the size of a family. For me it would be 30.00 just to stream music... I think once again I'll pass (people complain about cable rates).

I can't imagine there wouldn't be some sort of family sharing service as there has been with other Apple services (the App Store, etc.) Or, like Netflix, and to a degree like the iTunes Store, there may be a cap on authorized devices and/or devices simultaneously running the service off of the same Apple ID or family sharing account. Apple knows that you wouldn't pay 30 bucks per month for music (the release of Tidal is probably a good indication of how people feel about a price point over 10/month).

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Not sure about that as Apple with have to negotiate or accept SOCAN's tariffs, etc. I'm preparing myself to be disappointed on Monday and going somewhere else for my music subscription. 13 bucks or an album or 1.30 for a song vs 10 bucks or 100 bucks a year (xbox) for music subscription in Canada. IMO, the way to go is subscription nowadays. But, I rather give/keep my CC info w/ Apple & MS only.

here's the link for SOCAN http://www.socan.ca/licensees/music-use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.