Upcoming Apple Products Guide: Everything We Expect to See in 2019 and Beyond

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The MacRumors guide to upcoming products is designed to provide an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple, both in the near and more distant future. Dates listed are not always concrete, but are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have.

We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups. Apple's next event is set to take place on Tuesday, September 10 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

[​IMG]

Coming in the Fall
    [*]Apple TV+ - Apple TV+ will house Apple's original TV shows and movies, and it's set to launch this fall. It will be priced at $4.99 per month and it is set to launch on November 1.
    [*]Apple Tag - Apple in iOS 13 introduced a new Find My feature that lets iOS and macOS devices be tracked even without a data connection by taking advantage of Bluetooth, and rumors suggest Apple could also expand this into a Tile-like Bluetooth tag that could be attached to any item. It may feature AR support for locating an item in a room and leashing to alert you when an item being tracked moves too far from an iPhone. It's not clear when such a product might launch, but it could come in the fall when iOS 13 is released.
    Later in 2019
    [*]Mac Pro - Apple is working on a high-end high-throughput modular Mac Pro for its pro user base, which was shown off at WWDC. The new machine features Xeon chips with up to 28 cores, up to 1.5TB RAM, up to 2 Radeon Pro II Duo GPUs (four GPUs total), a new lattice design for thermal regulation, and eight PCIe expansion slots. The new Mac Pro starts at $5,999, and it's launching this fall.
    [*]Apple Pro Display XDR - Apple is planning to release the Apple Pro Display XDR, a professional 32-inch 6K display with a 6016 x 3384 resolution and a $4,999 price tag, which does not include a stand, which is priced at an additional $999.
    [*]Apple TV Set-Top Box - Code found in an internal build of iOS 13 references a new Apple TV 11,1 model, suggesting Apple is working on an updated Apple TV. Little is known about the new device, but it could feature an A12 processor. There's no word on when we can expect a release, but it's possible this new Apple TV will debut sometime around when Apple TV+ is released.
    [*]iPad Pro - Apple will refresh the iPad Pro lineup with updated processors in 2019 and cameras, though no other updates are expected at this time. A more substantial update will be introduced in 2020.
    [*]MacBook Pro - The MacBook Pro already received a refresh in 2019, but there are rumors suggesting a second fall update might be in the works. For the MacBook Pro, Apple is said to be working on a new 16-inch to 16.5-inch machine that will have slimmer bezels and would be a premium machine sold alongside the existing models.
    Coming in 2020
    [*]2020 iPhones - Apple's 2020 iPhones will introduce some exciting improvements, based on rumors. 5G wireless chips for much faster cellular speeds are said to be coming, plus Apple is going to add a laser-powered time-of-flight 3D rear camera for significant improvements to AR experiences. We could also get an all OLED lineup, with Apple finally doing away with LCD iPhones.
    [*]2020 iPad Pro - The 3D camera feature coming to the 2020 iPhones might show up in 2020 iPad Pro models first. The camera will let 3D models be captured using the iPad Pro's camera and then edited with Apple Pencil. No major iPad Pro changes are planned for 2019, so we might not get another iPad Pro until 2020.
    [*]AirPods 3 - Rumors suggest Apple is working on third-generation AirPods that will feature a new design, improved water resistance, and possibly, noise cancellation. These new AirPods are rumored for late 2019 to early 2020, so we could potentially see them sometime in 2019, but it's sounding more like we're going to have to wait until 2020.
    [*]HomePod - Apple is working on a second version of the HomePod that will feature a lower price point to make it more widely appealing to consumers. It may feature two tweeters instead of seven, which would result in lower audio quality but a more affordable price point.
    [*]AR Smart Glasses - Apple is working on augmented reality smart glasses that could come at some point in 2020. The glasses are said to feature a dedicated display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and head gestures, and it's said to support applications ranging from mapping to texting.
    [*]Mac With Apple-Made Chip - Rumors suggest Apple is planning to transition from Intel chips to its own custom-made Mac chips as early as 2020, so we could see the first Mac with a custom chip at some point during the year. Apple already makes its A-series chips for iPhones and iPads and has added custom T2 chips to a number of Macs.
    Beyond 2020
    [*]Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.

2019 Product Refreshes and Announcements So Far

Apple has already released a number of updated products in 2019, with a list of the new and refreshed devices below, along with a link to a roundup where you can learn more information about each one.
    [*]March 2019 - iPad mini 5
    [*]March 2019 - 10.5-inch iPad Air
    [*]March 2019 - 4K and 5K iMacs
    [*]March 2019 - AirPods 2
    [*]March 2019 - Apple News+
    [*]May 2019 - Powerbeats Pro
    [*]May 2019 - MacBook Pro
    [*]July 2019 - Entry-level MacBook Pro
    [*]July 2019 - MacBook Air
    [*]August 2019 - Apple Card
    [*]September 2019 - iOS 13
    [*] September 2019 - iPadOS
    [*] September 2019 - tvOS 13
    [*] September 2019 - watchOS 6
    [*] September 2019 - iPhone 11
    [*] September 2019 - iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
    [*] September 2019 - Apple Watch Series 5
    [*] September 2019 - 7th-generation iPad
    [*] September 2019 - Apple Arcade
    [*]October 2019 - macOS Catalina
    Guide Feedback

Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.

Article Link: Upcoming Apple Products Guide: Everything We Expect to See in 2019 and Beyond

2. Jyby, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

Jyby macrumors 6502a

Apple will also announce AR glasses in 2019. Stay tuned

3. jobesucks macrumors member

jobesucks

was hoping for imac updates early 2019, would be really lame to stretch out update to back end

4. now i see it macrumors 68040

Ok I'll pick two of them:

2019 iPhones:
    Might as well brace yourselves for the iPhone XSS

MacPro:
    Apple said the AirPower charging mat would come out within the year and it ended up being vaporware. Don't be surprised if the MacPro date slips to 2020.

5. e1me5 macrumors 6502

e1me5

That Mac Pro must come this year. My 2010 model can’t hold it any more.

6. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

The Mac Pro already slipped a year. I remember there was an interview with Phil Schiller in the last quarter of 2017 where he said "Apple has never been more committed to it's pro customers" (LOL, OK Phil) and to expect a new Mac Pro in the first half of 2018... well, that never happened.

7. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Yep. Better get used to it though. It's been clear for a while now that Tim Cook's Apple doesn't see much value or future in the Mac. Fewer exciting features (in fact, they are taking things away), upgrades further and further apart, all the while giving more attention to their toys and subscription services. What a dull future.

8. bgraham macrumors regular

Every year it seems we get "next year for iPhones will be super exciting!!!"

Then at the start of the year it's like "feature X for new iPhones delayed till next year"

Apple released a very minor update last year and sales fell flat, it needs something exciting this year with iPhones, please.

9. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

All this very fluid and subject to change without notice! :)

10. triton100 macrumors 6502

Ha love how you refer to the iPhone as a toy.... it’s rhe most powerful mini computer on the planet

11. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

“Dark mode will be the feature of iOS 13.” Well, that’s disappointing.

12. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

The only thing I hate more than being nickel and dimed for every little thing is paying for stuff I don't want.

13. AngerDanger, Feb 12, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Triple-lens? As in three?! Oh, Apple, get on my level.

onmylevel.png

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Like many here, I am focused on June and September.

15. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Is it weird that the only things I care about coming up are the iPad Mini 5 and the 7th Gen iPod Touch?

Modular Mac Pro too but I won't be in the market for one for another 5 years or so, once second hand prices drop to where I can justify the expenditure heh

16. maxfm macrumors newbie

We're in year three with these crappy keyboards and the pointless touch bar. Do we really think Apple's going to continue with these crippled pro notebooks for another year? I'm at a point where I've had to buy an external keyboard and mouse along with a monitor so I don't have to deal with the keyboard when I'm home.

17. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

It sure is powerful for its size. And I wouldn't want to do without mine. But its content creation abilities are severely limited. The day an iPhone enables me to do my job, (I make the art in the games you play and the Visual Effects in the movies/TV series you watch) I will stop calling it a toy. It's not really even much of a small tool for me at the moment, beyond its photography abilities. Yet even there it is limited.

18. scottinlexky macrumors member

scottinlexky

Those of you waiting for the unicorn Mac Pro, it's never been easier to build a hackintosh. There are lots of golden build parts lists available. MUCH cheaper, and MUCH faster than just about anything in the current line up, in any form big or small.

19. PickUrPoison, Feb 12, 2019

PickUrPoison Suspended

Just a couple of nits. Apple announced the 2019 release date for Mac Pro in 2018, not 2017.

Also, though you say “Apple is planning to transition from Intel chips to its own custom-made Mac chips as early as 2020” as if were a fact, but it’s still just a rumor.

20. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Beyond 2020:
    the 2021 iPhone and the 2022 iPhone and the 2023 iPhone.

Can't reveal my sources.

21. PickUrPoison Suspended

Actual professionals, and business/enterprise users, who make their livelihood with Mac Pro rarely steal the software they need to do their jobs. And they can lose more money in a few hours of messing around with a hackintosh than they would ever save. I can understand the attraction though.

22. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

I am only interested in the Mac Pro and displays. Come on Apple surprise us in a good way.

23. chinito77 macrumors regular

chinito77

2019 iPhones - everyone should pass on this
    2019 iMacs/Pro - Many want and wait they shall
    2019 iPad Pro - As long as it doesn't bend, it should be a good upgrade
    2019 Display - As long as it isnt over priced..who am I kidding, of course it will be

One thing is for certain, the Tim Cook Apple Tax will be in full affect so their shareholders can be happy after that loss in the Chinese market.

24. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Pretty credible rumor from Bloomberg and one we've also heard from multiple sources. I can tweak the wording. Just FYI, everything in here is based on rumor as mentioned up top. Thanks for the feedback and the heads up on the Mac Pro error. :)

25. RootyPoots macrumors newbie

RootyPoots

I’m hearing the 9.7" iPad is probably done for.