Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The MacRumors guide to upcoming products provides an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple in both the near and more distant future, and the products that have already come out in 2024.

What-To-Expect-from-Apple-2024-Update.jpg

While the dates listed here are not always concrete, they are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have. This guide is updated on a regular basis, and it is the go-to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detailed information, make sure to click on the included links to visit our individual product roundups.

May 7 iPad Event

Apple is working on new iPad Air and iPad Pro models that we are expecting to see introduced at an event set to be held on Tuesday, May 7.

• OLED iPad Pro - Apple is refreshing both iPad Pro models with OLED screens, bringing a major update in display quality. There will be two models with screen sizes around 11 and 13 inches, and we are expecting design updates. With the switch to OLED, Apple is cutting down on thickness, and the new iPad Pro models will be much thinner. We're also expecting them to adopt the M3 chip for faster performance, and Apple is planning to debut a new Magic Keyboard that gives the iPad Pro a more Mac-like feel and a new Apple Pencil.
  • iPad Air - With the 2024 iPad Air refresh, we're getting two models for the first time. The smaller iPad Air will have a 10.9-inch display like the current iPad Air, while the larger version will have a 12.9-inch display like the current 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The iPad Air models will be more affordable than the iPad Pro models, and won't have "Pro" features like ProMotion refresh rates and OLED displays. Rumors are mixed on whether the iPad Air will get the M2 or the M3 chip, but either option will be an improvement over the M1 in the current model.
June 2024

Apple holds its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June, and this is where it introduces new versions of the software that run on Apple devices and which will be officially released several months later. Sometimes WWDC includes new hardware products, but there are no rumors about June 2024 product launches as of yet.
  • iOS 18 - iOS 18 is rumored to be a "groundbreaking" software update with major new features and designs. It could, in fact, be the biggest software update we've seen in the iPhone's history, with a focus on AI features. Apple plans to introduce generative AI technology across much of the operating system, building it into apps like Apple Music and Shortcuts, and using it to improve Siri. Siri is expected to get smarter, with new integration with Messages and better natural conversation capabilities. iOS 18 is also expected to have some design changes and it will introduce RCS for more seamless text conversations between iPhone and Android users.
  • iPadOS 18 - iPadOS 18 is expected to have many of the same AI features that are coming to iOS 18.
  • macOS 15 - We don't yet know much at all about macOS 15 as of yet, but it will be the successor to macOS Sonoma and is also likely to get new AI functionality.
  • tvOS 18 - tvOS 18 is another update that we don't know anything about as of yet, but tvOS is refreshed on an annual basis.
  • watchOS 11 - watchOS is the operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. There's no word yet on what's coming in watchOS 11.
  • visionOS 2 - We'll get our first update to visionOS in June with the introduction of visionOS 2.
September 2024

In September, Apple will introduce the iPhone 16 lineup and new Apple Watch models.

• iPhone 16 - The iPhone 16 models are getting an Action button, a Capture button for taking video when the iPhone is in landscape orientation, and a new horizontal rear camera that will likely allow for capturing spatial video. We're also expecting the iPhone 16 to adopt a faster A18 chip built on Apple's 3-nanometer process.
  • iPhone 16 Pro - The iPhone 16 Pro models will have larger 6.3 and 6.9-inch displays, but will otherwise look much like the iPhone 15 Pro models. They'll also get the new Capture button for taking video, with the mmWave antenna set to be relocated to the other side of the device. An A18 Pro chip is rumored to be in the works, but it will likely only bring minor speed improvements. An upgraded 48-megapixel Ultra Wide lens is expected, and the smaller iPhone 16 Pro will get the 5x Telephoto lens that was previously limited to the iPhone 15 Pro Max in 2023.
  • Apple Watch X - Apple could have a major Apple Watch update in store for the 10th anniversary of the device. Rumors suggest Apple is planning for a redesigned, thinner Apple Watch X that has a magnetic band attachment system to make it easier to swap out bands and to cut down on the space that bands use up inside the device. New health feature are rumored, including blood pressure monitoring for detecting hypertension and sleep apnea detection.
  • New Apple Watch Ultra - We haven't heard specific rumors about a refreshed Apple Watch Ultra in 2024, but Apple will likely do a minor update to add any new health features that are introduced.
  • AirPods 4 - New AirPods are expected to come out alongside the iPhone 16 lineup. Apple plans to debut two different models for the first time, one that is lower cost and one that has Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), which has previously been an AirPods Pro-only feature. The ANC version will be the more expensive version, but both are said to have a new design with shorter stems and an upgraded USB-C charging case that has a built-in speaker for Find My.

Late 2024 to Early 2025

Apple will begin updating the Mac mini with M4 chips starting in late 2024 and early 2025... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Upcoming Apple Products Guide: What's Coming in 2024 and Beyond

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Ok I'll pick two of them:

2019 iPhones:
Might as well brace yourselves for the iPhone XSS

MacPro:
Apple said the AirPower charging mat would come out within the year and it ended up being vaporware. Don't be surprised if the MacPro date slips to 2020.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
MacPro:
Apple said the AirPower charging mat would come out within the year and it ended up being vaporware. Don't be surprised if the MacPro date slips to 2020.

The Mac Pro already slipped a year. I remember there was an interview with Phil Schiller in the last quarter of 2017 where he said "Apple has never been more committed to it's pro customers" (LOL, OK Phil) and to expect a new Mac Pro in the first half of 2018... well, that never happened.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
was hoping for imac updates early 2019, would be really lame to stretch out update to back end

Yep. Better get used to it though. It's been clear for a while now that Tim Cook's Apple doesn't see much value or future in the Mac. Fewer exciting features (in fact, they are taking things away), upgrades further and further apart, all the while giving more attention to their toys and subscription services. What a dull future.

bgraham

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
United Kingdom
Every year it seems we get "next year for iPhones will be super exciting!!!"

Then at the start of the year it's like "feature X for new iPhones delayed till next year"

Apple released a very minor update last year and sales fell flat, it needs something exciting this year with iPhones, please.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Yep. Better get used to it though. It's been clear for a while now that Tim Cook's Apple doesn't see much value or future in the Mac. Fewer exciting features (in fact, they are taking things away), upgrades further and further apart, all the while giving more attention to their toys and subscription services. What a dull future.
Ha love how you refer to the iPhone as a toy.... it’s rhe most powerful mini computer on the planet

maxfm

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
We're in year three with these crappy keyboards and the pointless touch bar. Do we really think Apple's going to continue with these crippled pro notebooks for another year? I'm at a point where I've had to buy an external keyboard and mouse along with a monitor so I don't have to deal with the keyboard when I'm home.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Ha love how you refer to the iPhone as a toy.... it’s rhe most powerful mini computer on the planet

It sure is powerful for its size. And I wouldn't want to do without mine. But its content creation abilities are severely limited. The day an iPhone enables me to do my job, (I make the art in the games you play and the Visual Effects in the movies/TV series you watch) I will stop calling it a toy. It's not really even much of a small tool for me at the moment, beyond its photography abilities. Yet even there it is limited.

scottinlexky

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Those of you waiting for the unicorn Mac Pro, it's never been easier to build a hackintosh. There are lots of golden build parts lists available. MUCH cheaper, and MUCH faster than just about anything in the current line up, in any form big or small.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Just a couple of nits. Apple announced the 2019 release date for Mac Pro in 2018, not 2017.

Also, though you say “Apple is planning to transition from Intel chips to its own custom-made Mac chips as early as 2020” as if were a fact, but it’s still just a rumor.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Those of you waiting for the unicorn Mac Pro, it's never been easier to build a hackintosh. There are lots of golden build parts lists available. MUCH cheaper, and MUCH faster than just about anything in the current line up, in any form big or small.
Actual professionals, and business/enterprise users, who make their livelihood with Mac Pro rarely steal the software they need to do their jobs. And they can lose more money in a few hours of messing around with a hackintosh than they would ever save. I can understand the attraction though.

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
2019 iPhones - everyone should pass on this
2019 iMacs/Pro - Many want and wait they shall
2019 iPad Pro - As long as it doesn't bend, it should be a good upgrade
2019 Display - As long as it isnt over priced..who am I kidding, of course it will be

One thing is for certain, the Tim Cook Apple Tax will be in full affect so their shareholders can be happy after that loss in the Chinese market.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Just a couple of nits. Apple announced the 2019 release date for Mac Pro in 2018, not 2017.

Also, though you say “Apple is planning to transition from Intel chips to its own custom-made Mac chips as early as 2020” as if we’re a fact, but it’s still just a rumor.

Pretty credible rumor from Bloomberg and one we've also heard from multiple sources. I can tweak the wording. Just FYI, everything in here is based on rumor as mentioned up top. Thanks for the feedback and the heads up on the Mac Pro error. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.