Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japanese site Mac Otakara today shared a somewhat confusing rumor about Apple's 2020 iPhone lineup, suggesting the 5.4-inch iPhone that Apple is working on will be sized similarly to the iPhone 8.

Citing Apple suppliers exhibiting at CES, Mac Otakara says that Apple "might be developing Face ID models beside Touch ID models as an updated version of iPhone 8."

fouriphones2020-800x572.jpg

This confusingly seems to refer to the low-cost "iPhone SE 2" or iPhone 8 successor Apple has in development, but a further mention of the 5.4-inch iPhone with Face ID suggests that it actually refers to the higher-end 5.4-inch device rumored for the fall of 2020.
The body size returns to iPhone 7, and the receiver size is in between the iPhone 11 series and the iPhone XS series. The rear camera is much bigger compared to iPhone 8, and the LED True Tone flash size returns to iPhone 7.

By employing TrueDepth camera, the verticle width of the active area size for the display expands and thus becomes 5.4-inch size, and the possibility of it being the model buzzed about increases.
Prior rumors have indicated that Apple is working on devices in multiple sizes for its flagship 2020 iPhone lineup, including a 5.4-inch iPhone, a 6.1-inch iPhone (or two devices in this size, based on one rumor), and a 6.7-inch iPhone.

Mac Otakara says that the 5.4-inch iPhone will have an iPhone 7 body size and a rear camera that's "much bigger compared to iPhone 8." By using the TrueDepth camera system and eliminating the Home button, the display's active area measures in at 5.4 inches, though the device's size will be similar to the iPhone 8.

The iPhone 8 (and the iPhone 7) features a 4.7-inch display along with thick top and bottom bezels that provide room for the front-facing camera and the Home button. By eliminating the bezels, Apple can offer a larger display in a smaller body. The 5.4-inch iPhone will be the smallest iPhone Apple has offered since the 2017 iPhone 8.

There are mixed iPhone rumors right now, but in a nutshell, it seems that Apple will release four to five new iPhones in 2020. The first will come in the spring of 2020 and will be an "iPhone SE 2" or iPhone 8 successor is meant to be a low-cost iPhone with Touch ID and a single-lens camera. This iPhone won't have Face ID and will continue to have thick top and bottom bezels.

In the fall, Apple will introduce three or four new flagship iPhones in 5.4, 6.1, and 6.7-inch size options, and these iPhones will feature edge-to-edge displays, 5G connectivity, multi-lens cameras, and more. Early rumors suggested we should expect three iPhones in the fall of 2020, but a JPMorgan analyst recently said there could potentially be two 6.1-inch iPhones, a prediction that was quickly corroborated by noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple's 2020 fall lineup will be similar to the 2019 iPhone lineup, with iPhones available at multiple price points starting at around $700, while the rumored early 2020 iPhone 8 successor could be priced as low as $399.

Article Link: Upcoming Fall 2020 5.4-Inch iPhone Will Be Similar in Size to iPhone 8

Last edited:
Reactions: bb9

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm in for a 6.1" or 6.7" model, depending on feature set vs. price.

If the 6.1" is missing the telephoto though, it will be a tough one to buy. But then again, if the 6.7" is as expensive as the current models, that will be tough to buy too. Hopefully they make the base Pro models 128 GB.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Given that the X, Xs and 11 Pro with 5.8” screens are just slightly larger than the iPhone 8 physically, it shouldn’t be surprising that a 5.4” iPhone with Face ID would be about the same size as the iPhone 8.

Reactions: manu chao

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
This year Apple is going to come out with a ton of iPhones—ranging in size from large to gigantic. I remember a time when everyone liked “small” phones. In fact, it was only 7 years ago. Now, those people are apparently unicorns. My guess is there are still a lot out there who had their horns shaved and just shrugged.

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Cuz nobody wants them.
You say, "nobody wants them", when you are talking to people who want them. You know that's demonstrably false, right?

I support the folks who want an SE-sized phone, I really do (I have relatives who really want such a thing), but if Apple does a phone the size of the iPhone 8 but with (nearly) edge-to-edge screen and all the latest goodies, I think I know what my next phone will be.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
What changed between 2016 (when Joz took the stage and declared that people still want small phones) and now?

Even then I'm pretty sure it was mainly an excuse to use up left over 5s parts and produce a cheaper iPhone for emerging markets. People want large displays for web surfing, viewing media, gaming, and even productivity.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I think ideally, a smaller phone with a large screen is the ultimate goal, but the only way to do that is to go with what is currently a small form factor (i.e. iPhone 7/8) but go full screen.

agree.

i love the "Always SE"-ers. they want and deserve a compact phone that is modern and fits anywhere.

but for me, the iPhone 6,6s,7,8 and soon to be 9 outer dimensions are a great size.
the X, XS size is just too big for ease of use.

really am hoping that the rumoured 5.4" screen size with dimensions about the same size as the 8/9 with no notch and under-screen fingerprint Touch ID happens in Sep 2020. and just maybe even mmWave 5G....

Last edited:
Reactions: devmaca
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.