Upcoming HomePod Software to Add Call Support, Multiple Timers, Find My iPhone, Lyric Search and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At today's "Gather Round" event at the Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California, Apple CEO Tim Cook highlighted some new features that are coming to the HomePod through a software update set to be released next Monday.

[​IMG]

The HomePod will gain a number of new features with the software update, which is going to come alongside iOS 12, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5.

[*]Search for your favorite songs by lyrics using Siri
    [*]Create multiple timers
    [*]Make and receive phone calls right from the HomePod
    [*]Ping your iPhone or any of your Apple devices to find them in your home

HomePod is also going to work with Siri Shortcuts, a feature coming in iOS 12. According to Cook, Siri Shortcuts will "open up a world of apps" for HomePod.

Many of these new features are additions that HomePod users have been hoping for. The HomePod has been the butt of jokes for not being able to support more than one timer at once, and while it could be used as a speakerphone previously, the new phone call functionality will expand its usefulness as a standalone communication device.

All of Apple's fall software updates are set to be released on Monday, September 17, with the exception of macOS Mojave, which will see a release on September 24.

Article Link: Upcoming HomePod Software to Add Call Support, Multiple Timers, Find My iPhone, Lyric Search and More

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Some nice additions. Certainly stuff people complained about it not having.

3. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

5. garycjohnson macrumors newbie

garycjohnson

I so wanted Calendar access. Just want to say "Hey Siri! What have I got on today?" and "Hey Siri! Remind me to call Jim tomorrow morning."

6. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Calendar support has been added. I just asked my HomePod what's on the calendar for the weekend, and it started narrating my entries...

7. k2director macrumors regular

Needs to recognize different family
    members.

8. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

I was wondering how it would know who is asking since both me and my wife have separate iCloud accounts like most have. Will it read my mails, messages, contacts and so on or hers? Now I get it, it is useless for one half of the household!

9. Lidar macrumors member

Lidar

Still a no-go for me until family support is added.

10. bgro macrumors 65816

11. critter13 macrumors 6502

just make a homepod without siri. I just want a nice Apple AirPlay2 speaker

12. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

Its available and it’s called Sonos Beam

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

I’d say it’s more a case of incremental feature upgrades, but I guess you can call it innovation if you want to!

14. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

You know you don't have to use it, right? You can simply use it as a speaker system if you like.

Using your voice:

1. Say "Hey Siri, stop listening.""
    2. When Siri asks you to confirm, say ""Yes.".
    Using the Home app:

1. Launch the Home app on your iPhone or iPad Home screen.
    2. Tap on the Rooms tab, bottom middle.
    3. Swipe to the Room that contains your HomePod.
    4. Long press (or firmly press) on your HomePod.
    5. Tap Details.
    6. Toggle Listen for "Hey Siri" off.

15. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

The Beam is a sound bar that’s over 2 feet in width, yet only has a single tweeter. And it doesn’t have the advanced DSP required to do beam forming, unfortunately. I don’t think it’s that great a substitute for HomePod, and it’s more expensive as well.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Family support! I can't do anything with this with personal requests turned off, but it'll be nice if everyone can use it with their own personal requests. No, Apple, I am not putting 6 Homepods next to each other because its one per person.

17. ereddekopp macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2018 ---
    Give them time people...this is how Apple has always and continues to develop products. Remember when the iPhone came out and it did not have an App Store or MMS? I've used the "others" tech and they throw solutions in before they are fully baked. The Echo did not recognize separate users out of the gate and their device and solution is still spotty at best. Siri has improvements to be made, but I marvel sometimes at how far it has come. Numerous times I have misspoken when telling her a HomeKit command and changed what I was saying midway through and she has disregarded my mistake and performed the task I asked. That is impressive. MANY of the 3rd party integrations into the Amazon Echo require you to speak those trigger words EXACTLY or she just gives you the finger.

I am sure multi-users is on Apple's radar. But they like to perfect what is in the product first, get the next piece perfected and then add that. It's, again, what and how they do things. I would rather wait for them to get things right then have them slapping features on just to appease folks.

18. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

Do you own either? Or just going off specs. I own both. If I had to choose just one I would choose the beam. The price difference is not large, and it does sound great. But more importantly it’s connection options are far superior. That’s my opinion after owning both. I do not say the same about sonos one.

19. DaveOP macrumors 65816

This already works, I use it every day.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2018 ---
    What do you find far superior about the beam? I have a Playbar and find the sonos software absolutely awful. We use it for the TV, but other than that it would be gone. My HomePod stereo pair sounds much better and is far easier to use.

20. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

I don’t really appreciate the name, as I think it’s an attempt to imply it’s something it’s not. It’s fine for a sound bar, but you consider it great for music? Maybe paired with a sub. If I wanted Sonos I’d rather spend the extra money for a play:five.

21. paulkaliciak macrumors newbie

paulkaliciak

I was hoping for the ability to connect to Bluetooth audio sources. My fear is that that would require new hardware.

22. stormchasejg macrumors regular

stormchasejg

Any signs of 802.11X WiFi Support in this update? Enterprise network support is a must in this especially for uni/college students etc

23. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

? HomePod sounds great, you have Siri as a bonus

24. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This. And Google even lets households speak in different languages to the Google Home... it is not even funny how far ahead Google is with this. Too bad I won't accept the privacy implications of owing Google products or I would've bought one a while ago. Apple seriously needs to step up their game.

25. ereddekopp macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2018 ---
    Hence why Google is ahead...all it costs is your privacy. Digital assistants are much easier to develop further when you don’t care about your customer. Apple’s been putting a lot into their Siri development of late, but it’s still a harder road for them and sticking to their privacy stance. Siri has been getting better, just not getting credit for that. Shortcut features is one aspect. It’s machine learning is also impressive. I got in the car today, as I do every day, to go to work and once my Carplay connected it started playing a Sirius show I listen to every morning on my way in. So I think more big things are coming.