Upcoming Macbook Pros - what can we expect?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by icanboogie, Jul 28, 2011.

1. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

I'm on the edge of buying a new MBP, but before I go for one of those quad core 17 inchers, I would like to know what to expect from the announced/rumored update this fall/xmas might bring to the (big screen) pro line:

Complete new design? - yes, that might be nice, but the form factor and weight is not so much of an issue for me and for the 17 inch built.

New processors? - Are any new processors in the making? Aren't the current quad cores still the hottest chips around?

New internal architecture? - Could there be some kind of new voodoo architectural update that would make everything better, snappier, more energy efficient etc.?

New/different main components - Ok, optical drive might get dropped, and that might make room for more battery/second hd or ssd /slimmer design ....

I think many of the new things are mostly beneficial to the Airs, but I cannot see If they would make really sense in the pro lineup, especially the 17 inch which is my favorite format by far.

What do you guys expect? If there is no big step to be expected performance wise (but only in design) I would gladly get one macbook pro of the current lineup. If not, I might hold on to my SantaRosa for a little longer...

Thanks for your input!

Herzliche Grüße from Berlin,
    J.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

We can expect endless speculation.

Nearer the time we will get more accurate rumours start to appear. At the moment we don't really know, there's a story on the front page about a super-slim design coming, but at this stage it's all a bit vague.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The next generation Ivy Bridge processors are expected around early 2012 - they should be smaller and consume less power. Also, a general design change - facelift is expected. Beyond that who knows. They used to update every 8 months but now it seems closer to a year

I love my MBP and the only design change that would be welcome for me personally is a IPS panel instead of a TN panel so that color and brightness do not shift with viewing angles. However, I am not optimistic.

I also hope Apple does not jump on the wider 16:9 ratio like every one else has and keeps the golden 16:10 ratio. I need my vertical space. I actually bought my 2010 late in the year fearing that type of design change for the 2011 models.

4. Nightex macrumors member

Would bringing back PCIe to the 15" models be too much to hope for?
    Or is it considered a backwards step now that thunderbolt is here?

5. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

At least five months more of wait is what we can expect. Please do not start all these threads so early.

To answer the general crowd: better CPU-GPU, power consumption from these and extra goodies.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

no Optical drive and ssd's standard. The start of the future of notebooks.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Don't think they will get rid of the optical drives in the 15/17 pro series yet. Maybe in the 13".

8. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

When I thought Lion was going to be released on dvd I would have agreed with you. Now I'm not so sure.