Upcoming Macbook refresh. Redesign???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Life is Sweet, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Life is Sweet macrumors member

Many people believe that the MB will be updated before the holiday season like usual, but a redesigned has also been assumed due to apple going away from plastic because of environmental reasons.

So my question is will they change or stay the same? If they do, will they be coloured like the nano? And what do you think the specs will be? Santa Rosa what? 2.2 or higher or lower? HDD, RAM etc.
    And finally, WHEN?

2. cheesyapple macrumors newbie

cheesyapple

Personally, and this is just my opinion not knowing heaps on the subject, i believe that they will have 3 models, a base silver and a higher silver and black, both being brushed aluminium. This would match apples colour scheme of late which can be seen in the ipod classic.

I believe they will recieve the Santa Rosa upgrade as well as a shared graphics upgrade. I also believe that the screen size will stay the same as apple needs to have a smaller laptop for sale. The hard drives on all models i think will be upgraded by 40g on each model with a max of 250g 4200rpm on all models.

Here are the Specs as i IMAGINE they will be:

Base model -- Silver 13.3' 2.16ghz (not necessarily SR) 1g of Ram (possible max of 3gb as specified by apple) 120/160g hd
    Middle model -- Silver 13.3' 2.2-2.4ghz (SR) 1 or 2 g of ram 160/200hd
    Top model -- Black 2.2-2.4ghz (SR) 2g of ram 200hd

These are my thoughts and i hope they are slightly useful

3. Life is Sweet thread starter macrumors member

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

you're dreaming.

5. esaleris macrumors 6502

The iBook look wasn't updated for nearly 4 years (1999-2006). There were redesigns, but no refresh. I think you're looking well into 2009 or 2010.

6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I agree with the last poster. Late 2008 at the earliest, but more realistically 2009/2010.

Macbooks will always be low end hardware, even with the GMA950 Apple has no problems selling them. Besides the fact that the average mac users doesn't know what a GMA950 is or even cares.

7. brgnewman macrumors member

Personally, i would not be surprised if Apple did release the macbooks in the nano colours or some sort of colours.

Because Dell right now has that notebook where you can get it in many different colours and it would be a good competition if Apple started to offer coloured laptops (again)

8. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

It's coming, but not right now. That's my prediction. But I just jumped three weeks ago, so I don't want it coming.

Unless they're hideous. Then I don't care. I'm more interested in the new case design than specs.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How many threads on this are we going to have? :rolleyes: I know the MacBook is the best thing since sliced bread but really. It will be SR based, thinner, lighter, colours? maybe.

10. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Ugh, what a horrible thought; resorting to Dell paint jobs to sell Macbooks.

11. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Better than copying Motorola (a la the RAZR)... anyone for a pink Apple? :eek:

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. That's what 3rd party skins and tattoos are for.

13. whistler72 macrumors member

im about to pull the trigger and get a MB replacing my powerbook. My luck they'll upgrade them right after. :(

14. Life is Sweet thread starter macrumors member

environment

well jobs said that they would eliminate materials like in the macbook soon so i assume next update

besides, all other mac and ipods are aluminium it sticks out

SR uses better than GMA 950

15. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

The case of the Macbook doesn't have to be resigned.

16. alexapplemac macrumors newbie

nooo...........that can't possible. they wont keep the macbook the only white and plastic product left for THAT long, especially with leopard coming out, theyll probs want to upgrade the hardware a LITTLE ....however slight

17. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

Well, Apple need to maintain a difference between the MBP and MB.

Im guessing...

drop one of the models and have 2 different models of MB.

Both being Silver (Al)

Model 1:
    2.00Ghz SR C2D
    1Gb RAM
    GMA 3100 Graphics
    13.3" LED Display
    120Gb HDD
    4x DL DVD Drive
    £749

Model 2:
    2.2Ghz SR C2D
    2gb RAM
    GMA 3100 Graphics
    13.3" LED Display
    160Gb HDD
    8x DL DVD Drive
    £949

Both models with have an online customizable options to change the colours over. These will cost £50.

Colours will be:
    Blue
    Green
    Pink
    Red
    Black

Colours will apply over the keyboard and trackpad.

Thats what im hoping anyway!

:apple::apple::apple:

18. -Shock- macrumors newbie

My guess is that in order to maintain the aluminum and black theme, new Macbooks will be all (or mostly) black like the current blackbook. They can still stay plastic (cheaper) and stay within the style family.

19. GKThursday macrumors regular

GKThursday

If you take a look in the other macbook refresh thread, someone just posted the prices re: plastic vs. Aluminum. Plastic is about 4 times as expensive.

Though your post has made me think of something. The back of the iMac is plastic is it not? Why not do the Macbook with aluminum bottom, and black plastic on the flipside of the display? It wouldn't affect airport reception like having metal around the display would, and would make a clear distinction between the MB and MBP. Maybe give it an aluminum edge and hinge as well for added durability.
    Might look very svelte with the combination of the matte aluminum and shiny black plastic.

~Thursday

20. cheesyapple macrumors newbie

cheesyapple

Or there might be a limited edition macbook in real apple colours (like green and red) just joking, But still it could be anything