Upcoming MBP 15 refresh - hold off or buy now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Donka, Apr 15, 2015.

  1. Donka macrumors 68020

    Donka

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Scotland
    #1
    I've been needing to use my rMBP 13 more and more but only need it in the house. To this effect, I think I would be better served going for a rMBP 15 for the extra horsepower and larger screen.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what a new MBP 15 announced in June may improve over the current 2014 model? I'm looking to pick up a bargain on the 2014 model with GT750M graphics but will hold off if the improvement will be substantial? I guess this is an unusual scenario because the current gen has been used for two models now so the Broadwell update may bring a bigger boost.
    My uses will be mostly RAW image editing, iMovie editing (possibly Final Cut Pro X) and maybe some occasional gaming (X-Plane or Aerofly FS flight sims) if the graphics are up to it.
     
  2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #2
    Need/want now, buy now.

    Many threads available to answer your question via search.
     
  3. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #3
    If you're looking for a bargain, wait, and get the 750m model from Apples refurb store when the new models are released.

    Next refresh will probably be a 950m, broadwell, and the force trackpad.

    If you need it right now, the 2012 model on the refurb store (with a 650m) is a better buy at around $1500 than the current model (750m) at $2500. IMO.
     
  4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

    AustinIllini

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #4
    Honestly, this is always the right answer.

    The answer is always wait unless your needs and wants outweigh keeping the machine you have. The next one will always be better.

    My MBP Early 2011 Wi-Fi failed, so I made the decision to pull the trigger on a new rMBP.

    If I waited I could have gotten force click and all that jazz, but my needs and wants outweighed my desire to wait.
     
  5. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

    Donka

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Scotland
    #5
    Thanks all. The UK refurb store doesn't have any 15s in at the moment but keeping as eye on the auction site and similar.

    I don't envisage a big jump in performance with Broadwell and I'm not fussed at all in the new force trackpad but the 950m may be a genuine reason to hold out. I guess that appears to be the biggest factor unless there was likely to be a large boost in battery life. I can hold off because I have the rMBP 13 just now but if there was not going to be many gains with the new 15, picking up a 2014 model at a discount seems like a better option.
     
  6. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #6
    There are some nice performance gains with the 950m versus the 750m. But not so much in choosing the 750m over the 650m. I would wait and see what the next update brings, since you have the 13" rMBP now.
     
  7. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

    Donka

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Scotland
    #7
    Yes, I think I will be doing just that unless I can score a really good deal on a 2014 model in the meantime i.e. one that I can resell at no cost should the 2015 be a justifiable upgrade. Thanks again.
     
  8. catan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2014
    #8
    You can get an even better bargain by getting a late 2013 rMBP, which is essentially the same as the 2014 model save a 0.2 GHz drop in the processor.
     
  9. campyguy, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

    campyguy macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2014
    Location:
    Portland / Seattle
    #9
    Just finished my taxes. Whew...

    I posted in one of these threads not too long ago, I need to get a few rMBPs and at least one riMac later this year or early next year - I just got done planning my fiscal outlay for the next 12 months...

    If I had to buy a rMBP today I'd get a refurb late-2013 rMBP just like the one I have on my desk or a new one just like it from one of Apple's resellers (16GB RAM/1TB SSD/750M) - it can drive 2 4k monitors @ 60Hz now with 10.10.3.

    If I had some time to kill, I'd wait for the Skylake chip and also see what the very recent Micron/Crucial SSD statements bring to fruition. This is what I'm doing - waiting for Skylake and a huge SSD. The two guys I know who are testing Skylake processors told me I should wait and they've always been good to me, going back maybe 15 years. Broadwell's already passé in their eyes.
     
  10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

    CaptainChunk

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #10
    A refresh on the 15" model is months off (blame Intel for that one) optimistically, so if you need a computer now, buy one.

    I picked up a 2015 13" rMBP early this month (I don't need a quad-core in a laptop, nor did I want the additional bulk) and I can say that while the Force Trackpad is a neat gadget, it's not exactly groundbreaking enough to warrant waiting for it. The Crystal Well CPUs in the current 15" models are very fast and still state-of-the-art.
     
  11. magicvash macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2014
    #11
    Skylake is going to be *very* cool. I just worry with Broadwell's chip delays how long we're going to have to wait. The rumor mill says 2H 2015, but by the time systems are released it'll be early/mid 2016, since Apple will want to wait for the higher quality/faster chips.

    Wireless charging & Wireless displays will also be amazing, though I suspect that technology will be at a significant premium when first released. After a year or two, it should be more reasonable.
     
  12. objectiveseeker macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2015
    #12
    Every time I make mac-n-cheese in the microwave my windows get all jumpy.

    And I keep seeing my neighbor's porn when the pairing goes wrong.

    But other than that, can't wait!

    /jk
     
  13. campyguy macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2014
    Location:
    Portland / Seattle
    #13
    I've gotten over the worry too, however, I have a Mac that's pretty zippy already! The grins on the faces of my connects leads me to think Skylake will be here sooner rather than later - Win 10 will be finalized in June or early July, and the OEMs will want some fast DDR4 RAM to match to a Skylake S processor. PC sales are lagging - a few of my counterparts are waiting for Skylake to make some big buys, and they've made that clear up the food chain. I'm just a small fish, but watching the positioning my counterparts are doing is kind of fun - they want some new toys, and so do I. I wouldn't be surprised to see Skylake in refreshed iMac before year's end! :)
     
  14. rekhyt macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Part of the old MR guard.
    #14
    The 750m is woefully outdated. Don't recommend getting it at all.

    The next refresh, yep, will be the nVidia Maxwell line. Most likely going to be 950m but hopefully 970m (the Razer Blade 14" has that).
     
  15. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #15
    I don't think we'll see a GPU class upgrade (above the x50m) until a redesign. Even then, they could always go the other way and have the one options with integrated graphics.
     
  16. rekhyt macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Part of the old MR guard.
    #16
    I have a feeling they're going to do a redesign this year. It's timed perfectly with Skylake.

    My thoughts on it was:
    2014: MacBook 12" release with Broadwell. Redesign.
    2015: MacBook Pro 14"/15" release with Skylake. nVidia Maxwell: A proper GPU. 4K laptop screen, perhaps. Redesign to cope with heat requirements of the discrete graphics.
    2016: MacBook 12" with Skylake/Cannonlake. Basically improved graphics to support the Retina-class screen.

    The Broadwell low-yield/manufacturing problems led to the corresponding delay for MacBook 12". Note how Apple didn't release the MB 12" on their own schedule, but in line with the availability of Broadwell.

    The delay of Broadwell has led to a corresponding delay for Skylake, which upsets Apple's original schedule for the release of the redesigned MBP 14"/15".

    I've always been in a big believer of discrete graphics on Apple's laptops. I'm in the minority here ("Only 1 discrete GPU option for rMBP, with the 'ultimate configuration', "No dGPU update for rMBP in 2015 = dGPU dead" (Reason for that was no Broadwell, which meant no point in adding in a new dGPU.)) but we'll see how it goes.
     
  17. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #17
    I don't think they would drop the dGPU in the higher end model, but for $2500, I think something better should be included. I don't see them making a 14" rMBP, unless they merged the 15 and 13 into one computer. Which I dont see happening either.
     
  18. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
  19. rekhyt macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Part of the old MR guard.
    #19
    Why not? Two distinct lines:

    MacBook 12": Thin, light.
    MacBook Pro 14": Powerful, thin, light.

    Legacy:
    MacBook 11" for education (Low cost).
    MacBook 13".
    rMBP 13".

    rMBP 15" gone, and replaced by MBP 14".

    Good good good good good... good. good. good good.

    Supply slowdown means that they're finally ramping down production for the 2014 (technically 2013) rMBPs, with something new inbound.

    Hopefully it'll launch at WWDC, instead of Q3/Q4/2016 Q1. WWDC launch/announcement makes sense, because it'll coincide with OS X 10.11's release, and not clash with the iPad Air 3/iPad Pro and the iPhone 6S announcements during Q3/Q4.
     
  20. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

    ApoorvPrem

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2011
    Location:
    India
    #20
    This is good news. Looking at the state of Skylake expecting a Broadwell 15 at WWDC now. :D Don't mind it. My 13in 2011 MBP is almost dead.
     
  21. mcarling macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    #21
    There is no guarantee that the 15" Broadwell MBP will include a discrete GPU. I give it about a 50/50 chance that this will be the year that Apple will drop the last vestige of the discrete GPU from their laptops. If not with Broadwell, then Apple will almost certainly drop the discrete GPU from the MBP line with Skylake.

    Regardless of what some customers may or may not want, it is in Apple's interest to complete the transition to integrated GPUs for reasons of cost, reliability, supply chain management, development resources, logic board size, battery life, and heat dissipation requirements.
     
  22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #22
    If they drop discrete GPUs altogether, I guess I'm leaving Apple. I like OSX, but not enough to live with integrated graphics exclusively
     
  23. rekhyt macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Part of the old MR guard.
    #23
    I am 99.99% sure that at least one MacBook Pro 14"/15" Skylake will include a discrete GPU.
     
  24. mcarling macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    #24
    I can remember when people were just as sure about discrete FPUs.
     
  25. rekhyt macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Part of the old MR guard.
    #25
    We'll see.
     

Share This Page