Upcoming Photos App - preserving iPhoto "Events"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skybolt, Mar 30, 2015.

1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I have spent a lot of time and energy creating my "Events" in iPhoto, along with labeling each photo as to what, where, etc. My understanding is that the new app will use the same "Moments" that are shown on my iPad and iPhone. Is that true? What about all the groupings I have previously made and information contained therein? I really don't like how photos show on my devices as I can't find anything. Even when I go to "Events" they are not chronological and I can't find what I am looking for. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I believe when I imported from iphoto to Photos all of the events became albums. same pictures, same name and chronological order.... the only difference was instead of being called events they were albums.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

As noted, Photos turns Events into albums.

The albums work more or less like the albums do in iPhotos.

Note that there is one big difference in albums vs. events: a photo can be in more than one album at once, but that wasn't true with events.

Also, you conflate Photos with iCloud Photo Library, which is understandable since many will use them together to sync across devices. But it isn't required that you use Apple's iCloud in order to use Photos.

And I believe if you do use iCloud Photo Library, that the albums you set up on each device can be dissimilar, but I'm not sure. Find out before you begin using it.