Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Hi folks, I mentioned in another thread that if finally show off my next project. So here it is.

I’m sat here working away on trying to finish off what will be my next game. I’ve been working on it for well over two years now.

This is a very quickly put together pre-pre-preview.

The level, well, it's barely a level, I've done on the video is just to show the editor in action. The levels you can build in the final game can actually be pretty massive if your so inclined.

The final game will have (an as yet undecided quantity) of levels to play through as the main game.

But the most fun bit will be the included level editor. With this you will be able to create lots of different kinds of levels and share them online for the rest of the world to download and play.

You can create short, traditional platform games. Longer levels with a bit of exploration and if your feeling adventurous, the largest level size can accommodate sprawling, maze like levels with branching paths, puzzles, traps, secrets and so much more. You are limited only by your imagination.

There’s a variety of blocks to build platforms, Immovable walls and scenery. You can place enemies and obstacles in the levels to your hearts content. Add locked doors to block parts of a level until the player discovers the matching coloured key to open it, throw in a few moving platforms, some fire blasting cannons and a few collectibles. The possibilities are endless.

It’s all ridiculously easy to use, create and share levels and as well as any that you might make, we’ll be creating more as time goes on and uploading them too.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what kinds of games people make with this.

I'll get a better video up soon as well.

Comments, suggestions, abuse and general chit chat welcome as always :D

Last edited:

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Just thought I'd add a bit more information on the game.

First and foremost, the controls. I've completely obsessed over the controls through the duration of development so far.
I was never going to be happy until I got the controls to be simple and intuitive. But most importantly for me, they had to have pixel perfect accuracy.

I'm not always especially happy with touch screen controls, some games manage them really well, some games, not so much.
So I've tweaked them and changed them and started over so many times. But what I've ended up with is so accurate and so simple you can literally play the game perfectly without looking at the screen (I mean using the iPhone as a controller with TV out, the games not that easy
wink.gif
)

There's also MFI controller support in the game for those of us who prefer a bit of physical feedback and when the new Apple TV gets added into the mix the controllers will be great for the big screen.

Speaking of, it is my intention that this game will be fully universal and work across all devices.

I've done my best to make sharing levels as simple as adding a name, picking a category and hitting the share button. Of course you can also save your levels locally for your own use and while you build and tweak them to perfection.

When you download someone's level from the servers, the game will automatically check from time to time to see if it has been updated by it's creator. It all happens seamlessly without you having to do anything. Of course you can remove levels you download from your device at any time if you've had your fill of them.

Thinking of people who might want to upload or download levels on the go, I've done as much as I can to keep the file size down. The average level, or rather, the amount of information you need to transfer for a level is only a few KB in size, so it's fast but more importantly barely makes an impact on your data allowance.

I'm busily finishing off some of the newer additions to the game and I'm hoping to get a better video up soon showing some of them. As well as showing the game a bit better than the teeny wee bit shown so far.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Here's another video for the game. This time I'm quickly putting together a short level to test out the new jetpack.

Since the video was made however I have changed the controls for when you are using the jetpack.

They are now a lot more refined and less, well, flappy birdy. You now tap and hold on the screen to glide upwards more slowly and smoothly than in the video and when you let go you fall at a reduced rate. Because, well you would if you had a jetpack wouldn't you.

Left and right movement has also been refined with the jetpack and it all ties together for a much better feel. Allowing you to navigate in even more confined spaces with greater ease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.