Upcoming retina MBP anti glare screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dariuscook, May 9, 2013.

1. dariuscook macrumors newbie

Hi just wondering if there will beach chance of the upcoming retina 15" MBP having an anti glare screen? Does this go against the 'theory' of a retina display?

My top spec mid2009 15" MBP has kinda of let me down...having pink screen issues that can only be fixed with a risky resoldering of the graphics chip to the logic board, apparently. Thinking of keeping this laptop, as it still performs pretty well, and using it as a media laptop connected to my hifi and plasma. Oh what luxury!

Then saving up some money to buy the new rMBP once the refresh has come out, I waited ages when buying my 2009 model for an anti glare display, they finally did an update to the graphics card, thinking there wouldn't be an update for awhile so I bought it, and then a month later or so anti glare display was available and I missed out, don't want the same happening this time around on the rMBP. They look lovely, can't wait for a decrease in weight in my bag!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

In my opinion, no. The retina screen has already been touted as having 75% less glare (not that much in real life) but adding an anti-glare option would negate that claim. Also, the anti-glare would make the IPS display lose colors and contrast, something Apple also says is a perk of the retina display.

3. saturnotaku, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Not gonna happen.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You realize the retina computers have a bezel, right? It's just smaller than the regular MBPs. It's not edge to edge display.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Yeah, wasn't thinking clearly when I scribbled that. Best just to say that it's not going to happen. :cool:

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It's technically possible. Simply not likely to happen.

Apple seems to think laminated glass displays eliminated the need for matte coatings. I tend to agree with them, although I know everybody doesn't.

As long as people are aware that a matte "anti-glare" coating would actually result in more reflectance than the current laminated display (unlike with the older glass-covered displays on cMBPs). The main difference is that the reflection would be diffuse rather than specular, but the amount of light reflected would be higher still.

Some people hate specular (glossy) reflections so much that they don't mind having more reflectance, but I personally prefer having as little reflectance as possible as well as deep blacks and higher contrast.