Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
A new shutdown glitch for voiced iPods

"Next song: Britney Spe...

Oh, come on now. You don't really want to listen to that. I'm going to ignore your playlist and pick out what I want.

Wait... look at this crap. There's nothing worth playing!

I'm shutting down"

banjomamo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
USA
What about all those rap songs with profanity in the title?

Can you imagine the backlash of an ipod slinging racial slurs back at ya?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
**sigh**

For the life of me, I can't imagine why this article was written except that they new it would garner attention for the author and the paper.

Apple files a ton of patent applications on things that never make it into their products. This patent application was filed in November 2004...it became public over two months ago as the 18-month embargo expired with nary a word.

Now all of a sudden this reporter is using the application as the sole basis for an article claiming that Apple's next-generation iPod will contain this technology.

They jump all over the concept of "celebrity voice talent" when it's really a very small piece of the description in the patent application making no mention of any sort of celebrity involvement that simply describes that you could use pre-recorded audio samples.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
bluebomberman said:
Heh, I can just imagine on the subway:

"Now playing: Paris Hilton..."

...and the whole subway car evacuates.

Well obviously the tts would only come through the headphones. If you're walking around the subway with speakers plugged into your ipod - then you're already evacuating subways.

I could see it being functional. Scroll through your albums, pause on something for 1 second and it starts reading the name to you - nah, the album you want starts with a T and this is an O - so you scroll down more until you narrow your choices down. And scrolling will stop the current voice from speaking (do you honestly think apple would force you to hear the entire album title?) so you can scroll to the next song. I'd use it because I have been known to run off onto the shoulder while changing songs.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i think it's a great idea for car use. and apple wouldn't be so stupid as to leave it as an "always on" feature - it'd be like the clicker. on or off.

i have to pull over or get the passenger to change tracks on my ipod when i'm driving, and it's annoying. very much so.

cruci

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
If this part is true:

The patents describe methods to accomplish this by using a desktop computer to perform the Text-to-Speech conversion, offloading this processing from the iPod itself

then how would this help you when you're driving or cycling? Do you usually drag around your desktop computer? Because that what is doing the text-to-speech...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
cruci said:
then how would this help you when you're driving or cycling? Do you usually drag around your desktop computer? Because that what is doing the text-to-speech...

The computer does the text-to-speech conversion and then loads the speech onto the iPod. Based on user inputs, the iPod will select the appropriate speech file to play. But the actual speech encoding would be done beforehand by the computer.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
This would be awesome and very useful for the iPod shuffle provided that it doesn't slow it down. But for a regular iPod? No way.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
7on said:
Well obviously the tts would only come through the headphones. If you're walking around the subway with speakers plugged into your ipod - then you're already evacuating subways.

Dammit, stop introducing logic to my fantasies of Paris Hilton!:p

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
This sounds almost exactly like this idea, which makes a lot of sense on the iPod shuffle. Still, I think it could be useful in any Shuffle Mode on any iPod.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
WildCowboy said:
**sigh**

For the life of me, I can't imagine why this article was written except that they new it would garner attention for the author and the paper.

Apple files a ton of patent applications on things that never make it into their products. This patent application was filed in November 2004...it became public over two months ago as the 18-month embargo expired with nary a word.......

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Well, WildCowboy is right about this: this is not "new" news. I scanned through all the posts and I can't believe eveyone is jumping all over this like it's something unheard of... This "text-to-speech" feature is already available on iPod nanos. Just go buy the Nike+iPod solution. This patent became public two months ago because apple was about to release a product where the iPod talked to you regarding pace and mileage of your run.

I see where the Scotsman could speculate that this might be used in telling you the name of the song that's playing, and that could be a desirable feature for some people. But the existence of this patent does not signify anything more than Apple wanted to protect the existing technology used in it's Nike+ partnership.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
makkystyle said:
This patent became public two months ago because apple was about to release a product where the iPod talked to you regarding pace and mileage of your run.

Not true. This patent application became public two months ago all patent applications are REQUIRED to be made public 18 months after filing.

There are a few minor exceptions to this (if you attest that you will not file a foreign patent application for the same invention, etc.), but the vast majority of patent applications are made public at the 18-month mark.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Applespider said:
Nope... can't see them wasting processor/battery power on this when there are things like bigger screens, better battery life etc to work on.

If it's for driving, then add it into a processor dock in the car.
This is done by and on the computer, not the iPod.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
crees! said:
This is done by and on the computer, not the iPod.

There's still a power demand associated with calling up the proper sound file to be played at the proper time, as well as the actual playing of the sound, even when the actual text-to-speech encoding is done on the computer. How much of a demand I don't know, but there would be some effect.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Peace said:
The only practical use this could have would be if a blind person wants to listen to the iPod.
You just made absolutely no sense at all and the fact that this would be limited to just blind people is ridiculous.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
crees! said:
You just made absolutely no sense at all and the fact that this would be limited to just blind people is ridiculous.

How so ?

I meant no disrespect..My mother was blind before she died.

If a blind person wants to navigate through the menu it would help to have text to speach..

As for the "limits" you speak of..Text to speach isn't very good to begin with..And I never said it was limited to the Blind.

Just an opinion buddy..
We all have them.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm not buying it for the simple reason that auto-read voices for text still sucks.

Try putting this in Text Edit and having the voice read it. :rolleyes:

Next Up - My Balls, Your Chin by Snot.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Peace said:
How so ?

I meant no disrespect..My mother was blind before she died.

If a blind person wants to navigate through the menu it would help to have text to speach..

No offense but referencing your mother doesn't correct your statement. You mentioned that
The only practical use this could have would be if a blind person wants to listen to the iPod.

All the "blind" person has to do is scroll all the way down to the bottom of the main menu and select Shuffle Songs. Then the "blind" person is now listening to what's on the iPod. Blind in quotes because I can do the same without looking at the iPod.

roburado

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2006
The phatbox http://phatnoise.com/ in my car talks to me. It tells me what album or playlist is up. I think that's fine. If Apple wants to make my iPod do that? Okay. Fine. Just don't tell me what the heck songs are coming. My playlists are generally albums on the phatbox. I don't want the freaking iPod interjecting its voice into the experience of listening to the album from the first note to the last.

The thing that's nice is that I just scroll up and down through the playlists/albums on the phatbox hard drive. I don't have to read a thing. It's all audible. Of course, the voice is 2003 technology, and it sounds silly, mispronouncing things here and there, but I bet what is out there now is pretty good, probably the latest version of what I have which is AT&T-developed.

I think it's a great feature to have in the car. One could scroll through artists, playlists, albums, etc. Hit an up arrow or a down arrow on the steering wheel. Turn the wheel on your Audi MMI, or BMW iDrive, or whatever other company's interface. Let it tell you where you are, and you won't have to look at a damn thing except the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.