Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter is making changes to its API on June 19, and third-party Twitter clients are worried about the impact and Twitter's lack of communication about the issue.

The developers behind popular third-party Twitter apps that include Tweetbot, Twitterrific, Talon, and Tweetings today teamed up to warn users about the upcoming changes and to hopefully spur Twitter to action.

twitterapichanges-800x184.jpg

On June 19, Twitter plans to remove several streaming service APIs that are used by third-party apps. Disabling these APIs will prevent third-party Twitter apps from sending push notifications and refreshing Twitter timelines automatically.
If you use an app like Talon, Tweetbot, Tweetings, or Twitterrific, there is no way for its developer to fix these issues.

We are incredibly eager to update our apps. However, despite many requests for clarification and guidance, Twitter has not provided a way for us to recreate the lost functionality. We've been waiting for more than a year.
Twitter is replacing its current streaming APIs with a new Account Activity API, which is in beta testing, but third-party developers have not been given access. With access to the Account Activity APIs, third-party Twitter clients say they might be able to enable some push notifications, but Twitter has also provided no detail on pricing. Automatic refresh of the timeline is set to be disabled entirely.
Automatic refresh of your timeline just won't work: there is no web server on your mobile device or desktop computer that Twitter can contact with updates. Since updating your timeline with other methods is rate-limited by Twitter, you will see delays in real-time updates during sporting events and breaking news.
The developers behind Tweetbot, Twitterrific, Talon, and Tweetings are asking customers to contact the @TwitterDev account to correct the situation and to use the #BreakingMyTwitter hashtag to spread awareness.

Update: Twitter has responded to customers unhappy with the changes coming to third-party apps. Twitter plans to delay the scheduled June 19th date for the deprecation of the existing APIs, and it says developers will have at least 90 days before the APIs are retired after being provided with access to the Account Activity API.

Last year we announced our plan to retire Site Streams & User Streams, and replace them with the Account Activity API (currently in beta). We are delaying the scheduled June 19th deprecation date. - Twitter Dev (@TwitterDev) April 6, 2018
As always, we're committed to providing ample time to migrate. We will provide at least 90 days notice of deprecation date from when the Account Activity API becomes generally available to all developers. More specifics on timing to come. - Twitter Dev (@TwitterDev) April 6, 2018

Article Link: Upcoming Twitter Changes to Disable Key Features in Third-Party Apps [Updated]

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
It’s terribly disappointing that we had to experience the reality - demise - of what Facebook really stands for before being offered standard protection mechanisms from companies necessary to protect our privacy and personal identifiable information (PII).

This is the reason I don’t “social media” lol.

Best,

USVet

Reactions: centauratlas

yangm

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
Hope developers start working on making their twitter apps compatible with Mastodon network (hopefully with cross posting etc).

Twitter is providing an awful experience not only to developers but to users too, and they will censor everyone who disagrees with their opinions.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
It’s terribly disappointing that we had to experience the reality - demise - of what Facebook really stands for before being offered standard protection mechanisms from companies necessary to protect our privacy and personal identifiable information (PII).

This is the reason I don’t “social media” lol.

Best,

USVet

What? Additionally, "social media" isn't a verb. You interacting on a message board is still considered using social media, by the way.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: If Twitter makes me use their first party app rather than a third party one I'll stop using Twitter.

I was the same way but frankly the official Twitter app is the best out there. I used to use Tweetbot until Twitter stopped allowing third party access to APIs, giving the first party app features that third parties couldn't implement.

That being said, being able to use a third party client was one of the charms of Twitter and another reason why it's better than Facebook or it's subsidiaries.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Twitter is the last social media service I've stayed on. And I just read, and occasionally comment. I rarely tweet anything original. I think I only ever did once. It's gotten a bit glitchy and hard to follow as FB was when I left it. I've tried the Twitter App itself and third party apps. It's still a bit messy. What a shame.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
To be fair, if Twitter was a better run company there never would have been any third-party apps. The latest iterations of their apps have gotten a lot better, thankfully, but I'll still miss Tweetbot when it's gone.

Paperboy2010

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010

Twitter is making changes to its API on June 19, and third-party Twitter clients are worried about the impact and Twitter's lack of communication about the issue.

The developers behind popular third-party Twitter apps that include Tweetbot, Twitterrific, Talon, and Tweetings today teamed up to warn users about the upcoming changes and to hopefully spur Twitter to action.

twitterapichanges-800x184.jpg

On June 19, Twitter plans to remove several streaming service APIs that are used by third-party apps. Disabling these APIs will prevent third-party Twitter apps from sending push notifications and refreshing Twitter timelines automatically.Twitter is replacing its current streaming APIs with a new Account Activity API, which is in beta testing, but third-party developers have not been given access. With access to the Account Activity APIs, third-party Twitter clients say they might be able to enable some push notifications, but Twitter has also provided no detail on pricing. Automatic refresh of the timeline is set to be disabled entirely.The developers behind Tweetbot, Twitterrific, Talon, and Tweetings are asking customers to contact the @TwitterDev account to correct the situation and to use the #BreakingMyTwitter hashtag to spread awareness.

Article Link: Upcoming Twitter Changes to Disable Key Features in Third-Party Apps
[doublepost=1523036106][/doublepost]My twitter on iPhone X and iPad both stopped working when I updated to iOS 11.3. I'm baffled. Both start to open up and then crash. I've updated the app with every update and it still doesn't work. Moved to Twitterific, but I want regular twitter back. Any ideas?

neverendingscot

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2015
I've said it before but I'll say it again: If Twitter makes me use their first party app rather than a third party one I'll stop using Twitter.
I have refused for forever to use the Twitter official app. I hate it. Everything about it sucks. I'll just have to consider abandoning Twitter if the **** hits the fan like this article indicates is likely. No auto refresh alone is a killer.

rti92391

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Hot take: The native app works well and the third party apps are garbage. I’ve used them and found them a subpar experience. All for this.

Reactions: ILikeAllOS

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hot take: The native app works well and the third party apps are garbage. I’ve used them and found them a subpar experience. All for this.

Do you like the promoted ads and irrelevant tweets that come up in the first party app?

Ever since I took to Twitterific and TweetBot, I get ZERO ads, and only some of the stuff from people I follow. The timeline is better to follow. First party app, I would have a barrage in the timeline about all the likes and what not.

saintstryfe

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
If due to Twitter stopping development on their own App I downloaded and paid for Twitteriffic just for it to stop working because of Twitter again, I will be very put off.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

Paperboy2010

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Native app isn't working for me since 11.3. Please see my post above and if you, or anyone else, has any tips, they would be appreciated. HELP!

Reactions: macintoshmac

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
While is is very unpopular, I still use Twitter via SMS. No ads, retweets, spam, promotions or noise. Long tweets just get truncated and you can follow hashtags, people and mute, follow, dm and block people easily. It still works really well and is supported by Twitter 1st party. I'm REALLY amazed 40404 even works anymore but it does and Twitter hasn't shut it down or removed features.

http://kristinmagette.com/40404-changes-twitter/

That blogger says 40404 has been around since 2010. LOL. 40404 was Twitter before Twitter was twitter.

...that's basically where they're going.

Twitter needs everyone to use 1st party applications because that's how they can extract the most usage data from users and most effectively deliver ads / promoted tweets. If you're on a 3rd party app, it's more challenging for Twitter to monetize you.

Reactions: macintoshmac

patearrings

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
sorry guys i'm a bit confused. does this mean if you decide to use twitter's actual app, the one they release, you will still get an auto refreshed timeline? or it's breaking for ALL twitter apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.