Update 10.5.6 gave me Blaster virus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by haukl, Jan 6, 2009.

1. haukl macrumors newbie

Not really I guess, but my Macbook Pro c2d is now behaving exactly as if you had blaster on windows xp... brings back good memories.

So, software update 10.5.6... seems to have given a lot of people problem.

Went fine for me, everything working. Boot up.. try to login, it logs in for about 30 seconds, then kicks me out to login screen!

Login again, 30 seconds, back to login screen. I can use App's etc in the meantime, click around in finder, boot mail... until i get auto logged out.

I have tried Safe Boot, using my guest account instead of normal login etc... nofin.

Since SuperDrive firmware update wrecked my superdrive, I can't really insert OS CD's and do archive and restore...

Suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's completely impossible to have the Blaster worm (not virus) on your Mac, since it only runs on Windows systems. There are no viruses that run on Mac OS X.

3. rogair macrumors member

Did you even read the post?

OP, You need to get an external optical drive to use those discs! I would try an archive and install to see if that helps. If you have another Mac, you can use it's optical drive and then put your problematic Mac in Target DisK Mode and Archive and Install that way..

Good luck

4. haukl thread starter macrumors newbie

God... what a hassle. Over an upgrade...

Could I archive and restore from an disk image? In that case I could just use an external HDD i guess, which i have one lying around. It's NTFS however and I can't change file format (will that work? :S)

Must be a better way, no? I mean... I actually boot into the OS. Everything is working. But only for 30 seconds...

Using activity monitor, I've figured out what causes the logout. It's "system ui monitor" and "login window" as soon as these processes appears they go red and OS logs out.