UPDATE! 1080p (1080i PS3 annoyance & Sound pain)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jan 16, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So it annoys me that the only way to get games like Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted & UT3 to run in 1080i is to disable 720p from the resolution settings in the PS3 menu...

Why the hell cant it just default to use whatever you have your dash set at ?

And why can they still sort out letting us have optical sound and hdmi sound at the same time ?

Just need to rip a little because I'm playing my PS3 more these days but those things really really piss me off.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It kinda bugs me about the 1080i thing but it doesn't take much for me to go into settings and change it...but I feel your pain.

Warhawk is suppose to run in 1080i as well but if I don't unselect 720p then it plays in that res...that was freaking me out for the longest until that little light went off in my head.

I use the red/white jacks for sound and it outputs very well so no complaints there(NEW 5 channel speakers tomorrow yayy!!)

Bless

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

They have added so much with updates, I just pray they can sort out those two things out with a firmware and they are not silly hardware limitations and I'd be happy.

Oh and sort out in game xmb, but the other two bother me more...

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

In-game xmb, among other things, is supposed to come with the next firmware update. It was on IGN but I can't go on the site right now, to get the link, since I'm still at work.

5. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I don't really care what res it plays in but it would be nice if they fixed this sometime.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

isnt 720p the better setting to play games at anyway? I know your problem is still valid, and its really weird they don't just fix it, but I was of the thought that the majority of people play at 720p for the smoother image (?) I

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Depends on your TV. My Philips 42" games look better in 1080i than 720p

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

assuming your TV has a good deinterlacer, 1080i should look better. Unless there's a performance hit associated with the higher resolution.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

UPDATE with pics

Well my PS3 surprised me twice today.

1 - I was messing about with HDMI settings and discovered my TV that I always thought was only 1080i actually supported full 1080p via DVI/HDMI

That was nice bonus :)

2 - So I began testing a few games to find which actually supported 1080p even though their box/cover makes no claim to support it.

Of course to do this I had to disable 1080i & 720p from the dashboard.

So I tested 10 games in total. 2 claim to support 1080p so it was no surprise to find they do (virtua tennis & full auto 2)

4 others claim to support 720p only on their cases but work beautifully at 1080p.

These are Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted (two pics below), Virtua Fighter 5 and finally Unreal Tournament 3 (last pic).

None of the games suffered any peformance drop running in 1080p.

The following didn't work at 1080p and dropped res to the lowest setting (as I had disabled 720p) these were Folklore, Oblivion Game of the Year, Resistance & Motorstorm....

Pics below. First showing the res I selected and disabled. Second showing 1080p current setting, then two Uncharted shots at 1920x1080 and finally UT3 at 1920x1080

Sorry for poor pics (iPhone is a great phone, not a great camera.)

Attached Files:

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Lucky you! What TV do you have that you thought was only 1080i?

11. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's actually a 26" Dell TV :) They stopped selling TV's here shortly after I bought it, but its a great TV. 2x component, DVI (with HDCP), VGA, Svideo, Composite, Tuner, 2 RGB Scart etc.. Ton's of connections. I have tried component on it but that only always ever went up to 1080i

According to it's specs though it shouldn't support it, but it does - which is great.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Answered my question.

Will try the stuff over the weekend. The only thing that dissappointed me with the PS3 was having only 720p games.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Here's a question- how do you hook it up?

I've been looking stuff up lately, considering hooking up a console to my monitor via DVI. But as far as I can tell- HDMI carries both sound and video, and DVI only carries video, so if I hook it up via HDMI-to-DVI adapter, I would lose sound, correct?

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Different kettle of fish entirely but the 360 VGA cable has 2 phono channels. Wouldn't a HDMI>DVI adapter have some kind of audio out splitter too?

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes you will. DVI is video only (Digital VIDEO Interface)...

That's why you'll always see some other form of video out the back in case you don't have HDMI.

Plus you may not want to use the whimpy built-in sound. (ew...)

17. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep... That's right.

For sound however I use a 5.1 DD setup via optical out, so it makes no difference to me.

18. squarecnix macrumors newbie

We arent dumb. We know our TV supports to 1080p. so please dont say that.

I have a Pioneer Plasma that cost me $4000 a few years ago. its 50" and is the top of the line plasma with 1080p. MY BLU RAY shows 1080p on the PS3 with the HDMI cable. But on the PS3 XMB menu when I startup my PS3 its only outputting in 1080i. I tried to manually put 1080p support in the settings, my TV goes blank and reverts back to 1080i after 30 seconds. WHAT IS HAPPENING??

When i Play BluRays it works at 1080p. When I play COD 6 it reverts to 720p. what is the problem guys please help.

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Holy goodness... Thread resurrection :) :) (it's scary when you forgot you even made a thread in the first place :D )

Anyway.....

Really I'm not sure what could be going on in regards to the 1080i / p menu switching.

Do you have the model number of the TV ?

The only thing I can think of suggesting is check the Display setting (or it could be under System settings) and disable HDMI control and see if that has any impact.

You already know about custom HDMI settings I assume so I won't ask you to look there.

20. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure Cod 6 only displays 720p. If you have locked out 720p then your tv may be trying to upscale it on its own and failing.

The majority of games only display 720p

21. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

That's one thing that I discovered after getting my PS3 Slim. The majority of the games play in 720p, where as most XBox 360 games can play in 1080p. I think the only game that can play in 1080p for the PS3 is MGS4. The rest are 1080i or 720p. Kinda odd if you ask me...

22. soldierblue macrumors 6502

Most of these games run in 720p anyway, so instead of your TV doing the up-conversion you're forcing the PS3 to do it.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Those games playing on the 360 in 1080p are upscaled and not native so the picture quality is roughly the same and theres a lot of games that scale on the PS3 including MW2(I play it in 1080p)

Note: Gat damn this is an old thread...

Bless

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not even that! The MW games run at 600p, Tekken 6 is at 576p (that's SD PAL, by the way).
    Where are your super powers now, Xbox and PS3? WHERE?!