Update 2.0 and Video Recording

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BullittMustang, Mar 28, 2008.

1. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Does anyone think that the new update 2.0 will include a video recorder or the ability to send and receive picture and video messages? If not will there be web apps that will make this possible?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Quite possibly. There was a promising rumor a while back that Apple was working on Video recording for the iPhone. (Doesn't take any extra hardware to do so)

But remember, the keyword is rumor.

As far as MMS messages? Doubt it, but if you jailbreak your iPhone, there is an app that will let you do so. Apple will probably not allow any MMS apps. BUT you never know, they might start offering it!

Not to get off topic, but "the next iPhone" which will have 3G, might offer video recording, and video conferencing. It's anyones game..

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Has the SDK yielded any hints as to being able to alter the camera's capabilities? I remember hearing that apps will have access to it, but they didn't mention exactly what you could do with it.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Have a read up of the 3G iPhone threads - basically with a hardware update, the phone gets 3G - this allows video calls via 2 cameras - it's standard in many 3G phones to have video recording capacity. Even on 1 cam phones. So the iPhone will be catching up to the competition.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You can already record video with the iPhone if you jailbreak, so it's certainly possible with current hardware.

As for MMS, someone in the other thread said that AT&T now blocks MMS usage on iPhones, even if you install Swirly (the jailbreak MMS app). So if it's going to be forbidden, it looks like it's due to AT&T, not Apple. Doesn't bother me, I see no point to MMS with email. I've been using mobile phones since 1994 and don't think I have ever sent or received an MMS message.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    You can record about 10 seconds to RAM before it fills up.

Has anyone recorded to flash memory yet? Anyone here have actual real personal experience with that?

To record to flash memory, the video would first have to be really compressed. The camera is what, 2 megapixel, or let's say about 6MBytes of RGB data per frame.

At 15fps, that's 90MB per second of data. I believe this flash's maximum write speed is about 2MB/sec. And file system overhead.

And there's the 5,000 write cycle limit of the iPhone flash memory as another potential stumbling block. (It's not like some flash that have 100,000 cycles.)