Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
So I have a 3GS here thats currently jb and unlocked. Its running 4.0.1 with baseband 5.13.04.

I was hoping to upgrade it to the latest 4.2.1 and then use ultrasn0w.

Also currently i have my hashes saved for iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1+

How can I exactly go about upgrading and then re-unlocking it? Unlock is a must as i am with Rogers and its a AT&T branded phone.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Wow, I'm impressed someone actually posted the question BEFORE updating instead of after :)

Use PwnageTool. This will allow you to create a custom firmware without the evil baseband that you don't want to update. If Windoze is your thing, use sn0wbreeze.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.snow

Haha ;)

Well got a mac so pwnage tool it will be. Is there an option in pwnage tool that says do not update baseband? I used pwnage tool a while back but don't remember seeing such an option. I have nothing to do with tiny umbrella?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Haha ;)

Well got a mac so pwnage tool it will be. Is there an option in pwnage tool that says do not update baseband? I used pwnage tool a while back but don't remember seeing such an option. I have nothing to do with tiny umbrella?

To be 100% safe, just choose Expert mode and under the General tab make sure the "Enable baseband update" isn't checked.

I believe when the baseband is not unlockable, the dev-team forces it to be unchecked and grays out the option, so the baseband will always be preserved.

I'm pretty sure just going through on simple mode will preserve your baseband (though don't quote me on that). These guys are all about preserving the baseband with this piece of software, so they err on the side of preserving it rather than updating it.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I hear you, just making sure.
He could have shut off Pwnage after the IPSW was created and fired up itunes though.

Got it, thanks guys! Managed to get it updated and then jb and unlocked!

Another question tho; since this phone will be going for sale. What state can I leave the phone in for a sale? I mean if the next person now takes the phone and plugs it into their computer and try to add songs/apps is it going to ask them to wipe the phone first before their allowed to do that? What I did is I set the phone up as new last night.

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
Just a quick question! I have an older 3GS and I thought I could update to 4.2.1 and still be able to unlock it because of the older version phone? Maybe Im confused here and thinking something else?
I would be using GP though

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Same boat, white 3GS with iOS 4.0, wanting to go to 4.2.1, and have modem firmware 5.11.07.

It's been a while since I've done this, but should I just be able to download a clean iOS 4.2.1, and run it through pwnage in Expert mode with enable baseband update unchecked, and it should just be pretty smooth sailing?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Just a quick question! I have an older 3GS and I thought I could update to 4.2.1 and still be able to unlock it because of the older version phone? Maybe Im confused here and thinking something else?
I would be using GP though

No, if you update to official 4.2.1 you will not be able to unlock it. Unless you install the ipad baseband after and then you're in another mess.
The baseband is not the same thing as the Bootloader.
That's whats confusing you but it has nothing to do with the unlock and more about an untethered JB and in this case both old and new bootloader 3GS devices have an untethered JB for 4.2.1
Use Pwnage to maintain your unlockable baseband and update to JB 4.2.1 ipsw.

Same boat, white 3GS with iOS 4.0, wanting to go to 4.2.1, and have modem firmware 5.11.07.

It's been a while since I've done this, but should I just be able to download a clean iOS 4.2.1, and run it through pwnage in Expert mode with enable baseband update unchecked, and it should just be pretty smooth sailing?

Yes, follow the same steps as pointed above.

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
Ahh thanks AppleJuiced---its the bootloader for the untethered! thats what I was thinking of.

Sad thing is though is Im on a PC and not a MAC--so Im SOL I think??

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Ahh thanks AppleJuiced---its the bootloader for the untethered! thats what I was thinking of.

Nope, you're not SOL but you may experience a less smooth ride than with PwnageTool. The tool is called sn0wbreeze

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008

If you have a place for me to upload the firmware after I create it in pwnage tool i would be more than happy to do so..

morocotopo

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Same case, but I would just like to confirm since I have different initial IOS version and baseband than the other two cases:

I'm running an unlocked (by jailbreakme and ultrasnow) IOS 4.0 on a (Black) 3GS with baseband 05.13.04 and I want to update (and unlock) to IOS 4.3.3.

From what I understand I should first update to FW 4.3.3 with a custom firmware using snowbreeze so not to update the current baseband, and then use ultrasnow through cydia to unlock, is that right? (I'm on PC)

Is it a requirement to update the baseband to the IPad's 06.15 before, or can I maintain my 05.13.04 baseband and run an unlocked 4.3.3 IOS? (I'm afraid of keeping a too old version of the baseband, or that the laters IOS require newe basebands)

Thanks guys and great info!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.