Update 3GS from iOS 4.0.1? Dinosaur!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kc7fid, May 20, 2013.

1. kc7fid macrumors newbie

so I have been doing research for a few hours on what I should do so I wouldnt have to bother anyone with too many questions but it seems there are too many variables and I am not familiar with most of them.

I was just given my mother's 3GS that she bought from some one a few years ago that was jailbroken and unlocked, so that she could use it with T-mobile, I think they told her if she did any updates it wouldn't work anymore, so as you can tell she never did any updates.

I want to update this phone to the best that I can (for best operating ability) however I am currently only using it as a ipod touch and don't really need access to t-mobile, although in a few months i probably will. I don't mind finding someone at that time to unlock/jailbreak it if i must do that, but I don't want to do anything to mess it up so that cannot be done. any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!!!

currently the dinosaur is running IOS 4.0.1
    Firmware 5.13.04
    it has cydia, but when i open it it says the version is no longer supported and needs to be upgraded to 1.1.x

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

2. pod5g macrumors regular

You need to JB to unlock. Is your 3GS old bootrom or new bootrom?

3. kc7fid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Pod5g for your reply,

ok i just figured out it is Old Bootroom

it is 32GB don't know if that matters though

When you said I need to jailbreak to unlock, do I need to do those things to update the IOS? I believe it is already jailbroken and unlocked, but do I have to have those things done if I just want to use it as an Itouch (no phone use) or do I need to have it unlocked to use even my wifi at home? or can I just have it jailbroken and unlocked later when I want to hook up to T-Mobile plan and update it now?

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Because its an old bootrom, you can have an untethered jailbreak on iOS 6.1.3 if you don't want to be on 4.0.1 anymore. In addition, you're able to flash to the iPad baseband and downgrade to 5.13.xx for a software unlock

5. kc7fid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you darricksailo,

is there anywhere i can find a tutorial for this?

can I just click software update from itunes and have it unlocked at a later date but still use like a itouch for now?

Thanks again!

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Thread starter already has 5.13.xx, not 6.15.xx, so no need to do anything with the baseband except use a No_BB IPSW with Sn0wbreeze to get to 6.1.3

7. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I apologize, I was in a rush so I just typed things out without looking too closely at the opening post

Now that I am free, I can type more detailed

1. download the iOS 6.1.3 firmware package: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-2371.20130319.715gt/iPhone2,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw

2. download sn0wbreeze: http://qwertyoruiop.com/static/mirror/sn0wbreeze-v2.9.14.zip

3. run sn0wbreeze, select the ipsw and answer the questions that may pop up

4. click baseband preservation mode and it'll make the custom firmware

5. put device into pwned dfu mode

6. open itunes and shift + click restore and then select the custom firmware. It'll restore your 3GS to iOS 6.1.3 without updating the baseband

7. once on 6.1.3, download the iOS 6.0 firmware package: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/Restore/041-7173.20120919.sDDMh/iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw and redsn0w https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

8. run redsn0w and select the iOS 6.0 ipsw firmware and select jailbreak

9. once jailbroken, open cydia and install ultrasn0w. your phone should now be jailbroken and software unlocked

8. DMH3006 macrumors regular

Why not simply buy a cheap unlock online so he can upgrade legitimately every time?