Update 3GS from iOS 4 to iOS 5

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by djcstuff, Oct 26, 2011.

1. djcstuff macrumors newbie

When I plug into my Mac and click on 'Update' response is 'Update will delete all Apps so I haven't done upate--didn't get that 4 last update so what's up...?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It's a complete revamp, major update. Do a backup first, then restore when done.

3. djcstuff thread starter macrumors newbie

iOS 5 Update

Thx. Was going to try that but wasn't sure if JUST the APPs would be done--lost my faith a little...:cool:

4. djcstuff thread starter macrumors newbie

3GS from iOS 4 to iOS 5

I am trying this reply/? again cause not sure if my attempts via iPhone went anywhere: I did the backup, then did Update to iOS 5, then did Restore but my Apps never showed up. I checked my iTunes via PwrBk and they were on iTunes (purchased) with a kind of cloud icon next to each. Not sure why they went there as I have Cloud turned OFF. Anyway, had to re-install one by one but that's better than none.

So why/how did that happen and just what did I Restore? It shows iOS 5 so I'm guessing it's OK. Now I see there is a fix for something so should I do another Update using the same process?
    Thx,
    djc

ps--Also, any idea if I could get the Smilies for my MacMail, or should I start a diff thread?

5. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

The next update is a small update and can be done over the air. Their will be no need to restore the iphone when it is released because the phone will handle the update for you.

I haven't done this yet but from what I'm reading all you have to do is tap update and wait for it to be applied. Once it is done your current settings, changes, files, etc. should be on the phone as they were before the update.

Also start a different thread for smilies. You'll have better luck with a dedicated thread in the right forum.