Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sa7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Hi everyone, first off apologies if this has been answered but I haven't managed to find it and the instructions I've seen are very confusing.

I currently have a jailbroken and software unlocked 3gs, on ios 4.1 with the 06.15.00 baseband, I would like to update to ios5 but I'm concerned about it becoming locked again! Please can someone go through the process and any precautions that I need to take :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
First, do you have SHSH blobs save? if not, you can't go to OS5 since Apple has stopped signing it.

second, you can't upgrade it to Apple stock firmware because you have Ipad baseband on your phone. So, you need to create customs firmware using Redsn0w (Mac) or Sn0wbreeze (PC) and restore to that firmware. Again, if you don't have blobs, you can't go to 5 now.

Couple things you need to check.

1. Which bootrom you have on your phone? old or new?
2. If old, then you can go to latest firmware and will have untethered jailbreak. Otherwise, it will be tethered jailbreak.

sa7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I've saved the current blobs, and it's the new bootrom I think (production week 2 of 2010) I don't mind it being tethered, or I saw something about a semi-tethered jailbreak?
So would I then create a custom IPSW with redsn0w, stitch in the blobs that I have now, and then unlock it again with ultrasn0w from cydia?

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I've saved the current blobs, and it's the new bootrom I think (production week 2 of 2010) I don't mind it being tethered, or I saw something about a semi-tethered jailbreak?
So would I then create a custom IPSW with redsn0w, stitch in the blobs that I have now, and then unlock it again with ultrasn0w from cydia?

I'm in the same boat, same setup. I have the blobs from 4.2.1, but iTunes won't accept any ispw other than the factory 5.01. This means I can't go back to 4.2.1 either. So my 3gs is stuck at a 5.01 jailbroken, but won't unlock. Fortunately I have a 3G as a backup phone until devteam can take care of 5.01.

Not sure how you "stitch the blobs".

sa7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Ah, I misunderstood the blobs. My phone has never been on os 5, so now that they aren't signing it anymore I can't get the blobs and won't be able to go to 5 with jailbreak and unlock? Is that correct?
Will I ever be able to get to os 5?

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Ah, I misunderstood the blobs. My phone has never been on os 5, so now that they aren't signing it anymore I can't get the blobs and won't be able to go to 5 with jailbreak and unlock? Is that correct?
Will I ever be able to get to os 5?

I suspect that once redsn0w and ultrasn0w is compatible with 5.01 (since that is what apple is currently signing) you will be able to jailbreak unlock after upgrading to a factory 5.01. I'm no expert though. My 3gs will have to remain bricked (not be able to use my sim card) until then. Good thing I have a 3G as a backup (not unlocked). I plan on upgrading in February when my contact expires, but don't think I'm going to jailbreak/unlock. It can be a real hassle sometimes.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

SHSHs for iOS5 can't / Couldn't be save. (they are temporary, whatever you save is useless on the next request).

I suspect that once redsn0w and ultrasn0w is compatible with 5.01 (since that is what apple is currently signing) you will be able to jailbreak unlock after upgrading to a factory 5.01. I'm no expert though. My 3gs will have to remain bricked (not be able to use my sim card) until then. Good thing I have a 3G as a backup (not unlocked). I plan on upgrading in February when my contact expires, but don't think I'm going to jailbreak/unlock. It can be a real hassle sometimes.

Wouldn't count on this, They are working on Jailbreaking untethered 5.0, since 5.0.1 fix some of the bugs and exploits they had. It will be a while until they JB untethered anything else (my personal guess, would be until 5.1, but the again that is just my "personal" opinion)

sa7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
What about these custom firmwares and then ultrasn0w to unlock? here
Won't let me download them so not much use yet...

All the different programs and things are getting much too confusing, this was all a lot easier with my original 2g!

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
What about these custom firmwares and then ultrasn0w to unlock? here
Won't let me download them so not much use yet...

All the different programs and things are getting much too confusing, this was all a lot easier with my original 2g!

I've tried ones made with sn0wbreeze and they didn't work for me unfortunately. I kept on getting error messages when trying to u/g via iTunes.

You're right, it is getting quite confusing. Apple is doing a good job at deterring unlocking/jailbreaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.