Update 4.0.1 with 3G advice

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by waytoocool, Sep 12, 2010.

1. waytoocool macrumors newbie

Hello,

This is my first post, sorry for the newbie question :)

I have a 3gs and used the jailbreakme.com with no problem a couple months ago.

My brother, on the otherhand, has a jailbroken iphone 3G with shsh backed up and wants to go from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1.

My question is, is iphone 3G 4.0.1 jailbreakable using jailbreakme.com or should I just update it to 4.0 and use jailbreakme.com?

The reason I ask this is because I notice on the flowchart on the sticky says that if you have a 3G, you should update to 4.0 and use redsnow to jailbreak.

Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks!

2. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

I did the custom 4.01 firmware update/ jailbreak w/Redsnow on my 3G. By the time jailbreakme.com came out I was on 4.0. I'm thinking if you can update a 3G to 4.01 you should be able to jailbreak with jailbreakme.com and skip Redsnow. You can download the 4.01 firmware here... http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/. Do a restore in iTunes with the firmware you download vs what Apple will offer/ suggest 4.1, once the phone reboots and is activated by iTunes open Safari, go to jailbreakme.com and rejailbreak.

3. waytoocool thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, works great.

I went ahead and change the the servers, downloaded the 4.0.1 firmware for 3G, and clicked "Shift" + restore on itunes. Used jailbreakme.com

Everything works great.

Thanks for your help.

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Since I think his issue is resolved I'm going to add mine to this. I went to this website and downloaded the 4.0.1 update for my 3GS (not 3G). I went into iTunes and tried to update with 4.0.1 but always get the error:

The iPhone "....." could not be restored/updated. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

My 3GS is jailbroken and I updated Mywi to 4.0 today, got it syncronized with Cydia (since I was using Rock) and wanted to go ahead and update to 4.0.1 and use JailbreakMe. No matter what I do I get this error message above.

Any ideas on this? I have tried it in iTunes 10 and then downgraded iTunes 10 to 9.2.1 and tried it again but the error message remains the same.

Thanks!