Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawrencecraig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Hi All,

I am having an issue updating or restoring my iPhone 5. Whenever I try it it comes up with "The build is not eligible for the device" I have googled and searched the net and tried the following:

1) Editing the hosts file to include the hashtag and even tried removing the gs.apple.com line in the hosts file (OSX)

2) Tried both an update/restore for 6.02 and for 6.1. (iPhone 5 currently on 6.02)

3) Tried doing both of the both on a Mac and on a PC with two different Thunderbolt cables and different USB ports

So I have kind of hit a wall.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi All,

I am having an issue updating or restoring my iPhone 5. Whenever I try it it comes up with "The build is not eligible for the device" I have googled and searched the net and tried the following:

1) Editing the hosts file to include the hashtag and even tried removing the gs.apple.com line in the hosts file (OSX)

2) Tried both an update/restore for 6.02 and for 6.1. (iPhone 5 currently on 6.02)

3) Tried doing both of the both on a Mac and on a PC with two different Thunderbolt cables and different USB ports

So I have kind of hit a wall.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

6.1.3 is your only choice. Nothing under 6.1.3 is being signed by apple anymore, meaning there is absolutely no way for you to restore to anything other than 6.1.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.