Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone else has these issues.

First of all, my screen has a wider gap on the right side of the lcd compared to the left.

0Q1mEnY.jpg

It also seems that the hinge is uneven, which result to a wider gap on the right side of the macbook air ( where the notebook folds ) compared to the left.

http://i.imgur.com/dygh2cQ.jpg

... and because of the uneven gap, you can see more of the black rubber on the right side of the notebook compared to the left.

I wonder if an apple genius can fix these problem...

Last edited:

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
This is typically something that can be fixed by loosing, aligning and re-tightening the display's hinges where they mount to the Mac's top case. Yes, a Genius could likely fix this relatively quickly or worst case check it in for a quick repair.

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
This is typically something that can be fixed by loosing, aligning and re-tightening the display's hinges where they mount to the Mac's top case. Yes, a Genius could likely fix this relatively quickly or worst case check it in for a quick repair.

Ah okay... so the hinge is fix-able... but how about the uneven screen? :O

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
Hm... 421 views and no one with the same issue? I guess my issue isn't common...

I went ahead and called apple support line. They're sending me a new one within the next few business days.

I didn't want to hand my current macbook air to get serviced by these ' apple geniuses '. I was reading yelp reviews and a good # of the people who posted their experience said that they were incompetent. Someone also said that they scratched his brand new macbook air and did not do anything about it. ( other than saying sorry )

:/

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Take pictures of your macbook Air, if possible with the serial number on the screen.

then take picture s of the front, back, bottom, and so on.

THEN you still have to get it looked at. This is clearly something they need to fix for you. If it is the same machine and it comes back scratched, you have proof it was mishandled. In that case, Apple would be willing to even buy your silence by giving you a new machine with free upgrades.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
My 13" is like this. The uneven hinge part.

I doesn't bother me at the moment, but when I do buy a case, if it doesn't fit right, it will be going in to the Apple store for fixing/replacement.

Everything else about my machine is perfect, so I don't want to chance getting a lemon next time around regarding internal hardware.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Ah okay... so the hinge is fix-able... but how about the uneven screen? :O

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The two issues are one in the same. When you realign the hinge while re-tightening it you are basically fixing the uneven gap issue. My Late 2010 11" had this about 7 months into ownership. I still worked at Apple at the time so I couldn't repair it myself (policy forbids working on your own Mac) but a fellow Genius fixed it within 15-20 minutes.

I didn't want to hand my current macbook air to get serviced by these ' apple geniuses '. I was reading yelp reviews and a good # of the people who posted their experience said that they were incompetent. Someone also said that they scratched his brand new macbook air and did not do anything about it. ( other than saying sorry )

:/

Glad to hear they're taking care of it for you! As far as the competency of Apple Genii, they are people so you will see everything from extremely competent (like, should be doing so much more than fixing Macs) to lazy and incompetent. Don't base your experience on online reviews, where anyone can toss out any story with no recourse, instead go in and talk to them and see if you're comfortable with them repairing your Mac.

I was a Genius for about 3 years and I saw my fair share of scratched Macs, mistakes, etc but not once did I see a customer with a legitimate issue get anything short of terrific treatment and resolution. By legitimate issue I mean their Mac came back with a scratch/dent that wasn't documented at the time of checkin, not the crazies that would scream "Well you must have poured water on it!" when we called to let them know we found signs of liquid damage (long term corrosion usually) in their Macs. If damage by us was brought to our attention we would typically give the customer the choice of a priority repair (often the same day) where we would replace the damaged component or a comparable new Mac with data transfer. This was by no means policy but Apple at the time did encourage both management and AppleCare (we technically worked for AppleCare) to go above and beyond in repairing customer relationships.

I still hold my ACMT (Apple Certified Macintosh Technician) certification and work as the Mac admin for a large non-profit, meaning I can repair any of our Macs within the good graces of Apple. About 75% of the time though I opt to take repairs into Apple for repair, simply because I trust their level of service and it's one less thing for me to take care of through my busy days.

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
I received my replacement macbook air today and the issue is WORSE than my previous one. Is it seriously THAT hard to align the hinge correctly!? I expect better from a $1000+ product.

I'm very unhappy! :(

I'll be bringing my replacement macbook air to the genius bar tomorrow since there's nothing else I can do at this point...

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I received my replacement macbook air today and the issue is WORSE than my previous one. Is it seriously THAT hard to align the hinge correctly!? I expect better from a $1000+ product.

I'm very unhappy! :(

I'll be bringing my replacement macbook air to the genius bar tomorrow since there's nothing else I can do at this point...
Sorry to hear your replacement is worse. It's always a worry that the next one you get in exchange has something else (worse) wrong with it.

I've had exactly the same issue on 2x of my replacements I went through, screen seems to drop off on the left. Once you see it, you notice it every time you use the MBA. After a few exchanges for various faults, in the end I finally got one I can accept - only issue is the black plastic hinge under the screen makes a creak noise when you touch it, like it's moving slightly. I'm keeping this one though cos I just can't risk the wonky screen fault again.

Fingers crossed the Apple store can sort it easily for you.

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
Sorry to hear your replacement is worse. It's always a worry that the next one you get in exchange has something else (worse) wrong with it.

I've had exactly the same issue on 2x of my replacements I went through, screen seems to drop off on the left. Once you see it, you notice it every time you use the MBA. After a few exchanges for various faults, in the end I finally got one I can accept - only issue is the black plastic hinge under the screen makes a creak noise when you touch it, like it's moving slightly. I'm keeping this one though cos I just can't risk the wonky screen fault again.

Fingers crossed the Apple store can sort it easily for you.

Yeah it sucks because replacements take 1 week each... ( since it's being sent out from china )

I don't think I have the patience for that. :/

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
I just got back from a local apple store and the ' genius ' told me he can't do anything about the uneven screen and hinge.

All that he suggested was to contact apple csr and request for a replacement.

:rolleyes:

Lovely. I guess I have to keep waiting a week for each replacement to come in until I get an acceptable macbook air!

aixporter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
just got my 13" mba and I'm having the same problem. Except it's worse because the uneven screen hinge is causing the weight balance to go off to the right. Now whenever I lay my palm on the bottom left side of the mac the rubber feet doesn't sit even and creaks.

i would bring it in for an exchange but i'm feeling on the lazy side

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
just got my 13" mba and I'm having the same problem. Except it's worse because the uneven screen hinge is causing the weight balance to go off to the right. Now whenever I lay my palm on the bottom left side of the mac the rubber feet doesn't sit even and creaks.

i would bring it in for an exchange but i'm feeling on the lazy side

I'm assuming you got yours at a store?

I wish I could easily exchange mine at a store... but mine was BTO so I have to wait a week for a replacement.

aixporter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
I'm assuming you got yours at a store?

I wish I could easily exchange mine at a store... but mine was BTO so I have to wait a week for a replacement.

yep.. in fact, I just went back this afternoon and the Pasadena Store manager took a look at it. One look and he immediately noticed the uneven screen hinge. Got it swapped for a brand new one in less than a minute.

Now I'm a happy camper ;)

hope your next one is perfect!

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
yep.. in fact, I just went back this afternoon and the Pasadena Store manager took a look at it. One look and he immediately noticed the uneven screen hinge. Got it swapped for a brand new one in less than a minute.

Now I'm a happy camper ;)

hope your next one is perfect!

As far as I know apple stores only have stock ones though...? and i7, 8gb, and 512gb ssd that you have is the max spec...

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
As far as I know apple stores only have stock ones though...? and i7, 8gb, and 512gb ssd that you have is the max spec...

Apple stocks most versions of the MBA's but I don't believe they carry any that have 512GB SSD's. Those are only available BTO as far as I know. I'd like to be proved wrong but I don't think Apple (or any other Apple retailers such as Amazon) carry maxed out MBA's.

aixporter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
Apple stocks most versions of the MBA's but I don't believe they carry any that have 512GB SSD's. Those are only available BTO as far as I know. I'd like to be proved wrong but I don't think Apple (or any other Apple retailers such as Amazon) carry maxed out MBA's.

You are very wrong. Go into an Apple Store and check out the iPads that they place beside every Mac. You'll notice that they stock the "Ultimate" configurations of the MacBook Air 11", 13", MacBook Pro Retina 13", 15".. etc.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
You are very wrong. Go into an Apple Store and check out the iPads that they place beside every Mac. You'll notice that they stock the "Ultimate" configurations of the MacBook Air 11", 13", MacBook Pro Retina 13", 15".. etc.

Thanks, this is great to know. I always thought the maxed out configurations were only available as BTO options from the online Apple store. I'll check it out. Is this true of the rMBP's too?

EDIT: Yes it is true of the rMBP's - I read you post too quickly...

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Exact same problem as the OP on my MBA 11" (mid-2013, BTO) which arrived yesterday. Plus a "clicky" trackpad.

I also realized I can't stand the lower pixel density, feeling my eyes always adjusting, like text was constantly blurry -- going back to my rMBP felt like a breath of fresh air.

As much as I liked the form factor and battery life (about three times as long as a previous 2011 MBA 11"), I'm most definitely returning it.

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
California, USA
I went ahead and returned both the original ( defective ) + replacement ( defective ) MBA because I wanted purchase the ultimate MBA configuration in store ( t's easier to deal with issues at the store rather than through phone support )

Apple received the returned MBA's at their warehouse on the 6th of this month and proceeded to tell me that they have processed the refund on the same day. I was told that I will see the refund reflected on my cc within 3-5 business days. I waited until the 13th to see if I've received the refund... but nope.

I went ahead and called apple again. Apple reassured me that they have processed the refund but placed me on a 3 way call with barclaycard. They told me to wait an additional 5 business days...

It is now thursday the 19th ( 9th business day ) and I still have not received the refund. I went ahead and called apple AGAIN. I was placed on a 3 way call with barclay for one hour. After further research, apple apologized to me and said that they never have manually issued me a refund.

Seriously now...?

They wasted 2 weeks of my time for absolutely nothing.

After all the crap they put me through... I do NOT want to do any business with them anymore.

APPLE IS EFFING RIDICULOUS!

Edit: The CSR I talked to promised me that he will send me an email to confirm the refund... but it's been 2 hours and I have not received anything! Why is it so hard for apple to keep their word!?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.