Update a Super Duper Clone from most recent time machine backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cowinabox302, Oct 23, 2009.

1. cowinabox302 macrumors member

Is there a way to update a super duper clone that I have on a portable external from my Time machine backups? It would simplify my backup protocol a lot, I travel with a live clone in case my system crashes. When I'm at home I backup tirelessly to a time machine drive connected to my server. I would love to be able to just dock my portable with my server and be able to update my clone easily.

Any idea if this is possible?

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I reckon you should give up with this idea. No offense but it sounds really unreliable and complicated. Restore your clone and then as a second step restore your Time Machine from this point.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Any idea if this is possible?"

Probably not.

I don't think there is any way for SuperDuper to "make sense" of what is on a TM backup.

SuperDuper will "clone what it sees" on the source drive. Yes, you could "dupe" a TM backup volume. But all you'd have would be _another_ TM backup volume. It wouldn't be a "bootable clone".

Backing up is a good thing, but I sense you're becoming a bit obsessive on the subject. Just do a SuperDuper clone once or twice a day, and you should be good to go. That's more than most folks do, anyway.

- John

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

SuperDuper can update the close much quite quickly if you just tell it to update what's been changed as opposed to a complete new clone.