UPDATE - after talking to O2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pittster, Jul 7, 2008.

1. pittster macrumors regular

Had a long whinge at the customer services people.
    got put through to their alleged iPhone experts!!
    they INSIST that on Friday O2 and CPW stores WILL do upgrades for existing iPhone users, but Apple Stores will only do new contracts.
    The guy on the phone said this had only been agreed today (prob as a result of the online cock-up).

we shall see if this is true, or more O2 bull***t.

I have taken note of his name should he be lying!! :mad:

2. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I've been told the same by staff at my local o2 store.

3. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Now does that mean Apple as in Regents street Apple store, or the Solutions resellers?

4. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

It is true, my local Apple Store told me they are only doing new sign ups.
    Anyone who is already an o2 customer (iphone or not) has to contact o2 (don't know about CPW).

5. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

was assuming he meant the actual Apple Stores rather than authorised resellers and such.

6. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Oh well. I was thinking (more hoping!) that the resellers (Solutions Inc) would do PAYG, as its such a simple thing to sell (no contracts or credit checks etc, etc.)

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Sounds to me like, this is just more codswalla they have been asked to repeat off a screen,
    to ensure the maximum amount of customers through the doors, on Friday.

R-Fly

8. dog299 macrumors regular

well for what its worth...

i just rang O2 on the upgrade line and they told me that on Friday i will now be ABLE to go to any O2 store and upgrade!

I did ask her if that was correct considering i was an exisiting iphone user and she said that its still ok. I will ring again to see if the story is the same!

Perhaps not all hope has gone?

9. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Why do people call customer service agents at these companies as if they know any more than us? Don't you realize that if there is something to be known, that is not explicitly stated on the company's website yet; they're not going to have a clue. Gosh, I would hate to work at one of these places and have 5000 people calling me back to back. All asking the same question, and then once they go to the web and compare notes with others and see they were told something completely different from someone else; call back again until they find someone who tells them what they want to hear.

How about you just wait until the company comes out with a press release, or has further direct procedures listed on their website? Otherwise, you're just wasting both your time, and the time of the representative who has to field these calls.

10. Marky macrumors regular

Press release

You mean like this one on the Telegraph website:

Due to extremely high levels of demand, the O2 online shop is temporarily unavailable. We are working to restore the service as quickly as possible. Customers who are unable to place an order online can still go into store from 8.02am on 11 July, although we urge people to get down there early as demand is expected to be very high," said O2 in a statement.

An O2 spokeswoman said she did not know how many people had been able to pre-order before the upgrade website was suspended. She said they were working to restore the site as soon as possible and were "pretty confident" they would have enough handsets to cope with the demand.

Notice they don't distinguish between new and existing o2 or existing iPhone customers, mind you that could just be another o2 cock up as well!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/07/07/dliphone107.xml

11. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I just had the same response from a lady on the upgrade line too.

REALLY hoping I can upgrade in store. Got Friday booked off from work so would be perfect for me! :-s

12. Badgerguy macrumors member

I called four different O2 stores in Birmingham after getting online too late to pre-order, and was told exactly the same by all four stores - opening time is 8.02AM, good availability of both models.

--
    BG

13. dog299 macrumors regular

but was that for Upgrades from existing users?

14. Badgerguy macrumors member

I didn't specify to them whether I was an existing or new customer - is there a difference? Surely the stores can process you whether you're a new or existing customer, it'll still be first-come first-served.

--
    BG