Update Airport Express with Airport Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mstruve, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mstruve macrumors regular

Hi, apologies if this is a really stupid question, but I cannot work out how to update the Airport Express using Airport Utility on the Mac. It shows that there's an update available with the little red '1' badge, but there's no option to install the update.

Can someone please briefly explain how I do it?

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You click the bubble where that 1 is then click update in the popup afterwards.

3. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that would be the obvious thing to do, but doesn't work unfortunately - just brings up the details of the Express...

4. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Update Airport Express with Airport Utility

Actually think the notification is a status message, rather than a software update. Anyone know what I need to do?

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Do you see any message in Notification Center?
    PS IMHO if it were a status message, the dot next to basestation would be amber, instead of green.

6. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

No nothing in notification centre.

Yep the dot in Airport Utility is amber and so is the light on the Express.

On the Utility app for iOS though there was an option to ignore the message, so I did that and both lights are now green. Not sure if I've fixed the problem or just ignored it though...

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That just disables the warning, so yes... you ignored it.

How to you have the Express hooked up? Is it by any chance attached to a combo. modem/router provided by your ISP? If it is, that can cause a "double NAT" error. You can fix the error by putting either device in bridge mode.

It would be preferable to put the ISP device in bridge mode if you can. If not you can use Airport Util to put your express in bridge mode in the screen below.

[​IMG]

8. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

It's hooked up as a wireless network extender from an Airport Extreme Basestation. It's been working fine for months though so not sure why it should suddenly have a problem?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... that's odd with you not changing anything. :confused:

Does this help you find an error message why the amber light is flashing?

10. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I assumed it was just a firmware update as this is what had happened previously, but it doesn't seem to be.

Thanks for the link, I will run through that list when I get home and see if that works. One thing I might do is reset the Express and set it up from scratch...

11. dozens macrumors newbie

Did anything come of this? I have the EXACT some issues with my Express today...

12. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I ever did anything else, and haven't had any problems since.

The way I resolved the notification issue was to dismiss it in the iOS Airport Utility app. Not sure if that actually fixed the problem though, or just ignored it...

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You should still be able to view what the error is inside of the AirPort Utility under the Status Area.