Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrappleTree99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
I have three Apple devices. iPhone SE 2022 (Primary), iPhone SE 2020, iPad 9th Gen.

The issue:

Ever since upgrading my Primary iPhone SE2022 to IOS 16+
, my phone intermittently pops up with "Update Apple ID Settings, some account services will not be available until you sign in again". My iPhone SE 2020 and iPad never experienced this until I also updated those devices to iOS 16+.

I have been back and forth with Apple Support with many Senior advisors.

• I do not use 2FA for personal reasons.
  • I have temporarily enabled 2FA as suggested by the advisors to no avail. The Apple ID Settings prompt still pops up.
  • Yesterday (February 23rd 2023), I noticed every time I back up my devices to iTunes on a windows PC it triggers the pop up immediately.
  • Now, and unlike before the prompt is occurring after every reboot on all three devices
  • I have never used keychain, or saved passwords.
  • I don't use iCloud back ups.
  • I don't use passcodes.
  • The only things that sync between devices are the calendar app, contacts and reminders.
  • This issue ONLY occurred after iOS 16+, not on any previous iOS versions.
Things I have tried already :
  • Log out of all devices that use my Apple ID. There is only 1 Apple ID. Log back in on all devices.
  • Enable 2FA, log out on all devices and re-login on all devices with 2FA enabled.
  • Completely wipe all devices to brand new status, then log into my Apple ID on each device without performing a recovery.
  • Completely wipe all devices to brand new status, then log into my Apple ID on each device after recovering back ups.
My account was rolled back to the standard multi-factor (old style) settings after the troubleshooting failed.

So far, I'm at my wit's end. I've had two senior advisors try to blame 2FA or Keychain on this issue which never made sense to me since my account does not use 2FA. Keychain data is supposed to be cleared when you unenroll in 2FA. One advisor claimed I'm having this prompt pop up always because I don't use 2FA despite explaining to them I tested it with 2FA turned on, it still gave this pop up.

The last advisor I spoke with who took over my case said there was an authentication key problem somewhere in the system, and basically the account can never fully authenticate or something. He said that he would ask the engineers how to delete the 'random encrypted data' or reset the authentication key thing.

I'm really fed up with this, and the engineering team seems to be of no help.

If anyone has experienced anything similar or may know a fix, please do tell. Thank you!

6bfa717e-4264-4c9d-94fc-8273060fff53

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
I've got the same problem and I tough it's because I don't use 2FA. Every few days (usually in the morning after charging is complete) I need to enter my apple ID password and disable game center in iCloud.

Reactions: CrappleTree99

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I have two daughters who each have iPhone 13 Pros. They started off with hand me downs years ago. I don't remember if there was an overlap with anything but one of them gets this message. It wants her to enter the password for her sister's Apple ID. Everything else lists the correct email address. I suggested she look at iTunes to see what devices are listed and figure out which one her phone is on.

Reactions: CrappleTree99

CrappleTree99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
I have two daughters who each have iPhone 13 Pros. They started off with hand me downs years ago. I don't remember if there was an overlap with anything but one of them gets this message. It wants her to enter the password for her sister's Apple ID. Everything else lists the correct email address. I suggested she look at iTunes to see what devices are listed and figure out which one her phone is on.
This is the thing that's weird. My one and only apple account ever used for my devices, suddenly started this behaviour with iOS 16. The engineering team can't give a straight answer as to what caused it in the first place, let alone how to fix it in particular after un-enrolling from 2FA back to multi-step verification.

I hate when the Apple Advisors or engineers keep giving stale answers like "just turn on 2FA and a passcode" when ;
  1. Doing so didn't fix the prompts from popping up and ;
  2. Nowhere on Apple's website or TOS does it say 2FA is mandatory enrollment required for older accounts or else we'll keep prompting you with red balloons ;
  3. Engineers don't seem to give a squat about fixing the underlying issue here - there's an authentication type issue happening between Apple's internal servers and that particular Apple ID. Why was the account fine for over 10 years, but suddenly something within iOS16+ changed the way the account behaves?
I finally got one advisor to agree that, a "Please Update Apple ID Settings" prompt every time I clicked back up in iTunes while my devices were plugged in was very unusual behaviour. But even then, all he could do was try to remit this to the engineers and "escalate" the account for fixing.

It seems like none of the engineers are taking into consideration that I don't use 2FA and have rolled back from 2FA several times during troubleshooting steps taken.

As an individual who works with computers, I always make it a priority to find out the cause of the issue and find a way to FIX it - not cover it with bubblegum and call it a day.

I feel very dissatisfied with Apple's Advisors and engineering team in regards to my situation. So at this point, I am hoping that there are other people out there who have experienced this with the same frustration level who can either help me or share the fact that they to are not alone in experiencing this ridiculous issue.

terrytan95

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2023
Exactly the same issue as mine. It has been spinning around for a couple of months since ios 16. So frustrating cuz I can't even successfully add an airtag to my account

Craiguyver

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Ohio, USA
Have the same issue. I believe it is Apple's way of annoying users to the point that they upgrade to 2FA to make the pop-up messages to stop.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I got something similar (something like "you need to sign in again to configure iCloud") out of the blue on my OS 12.6.7 Mac today. Has Apple changed something?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
This issue popped up early in ios 16, I do use iCloud with 2 accounts and 2 factor enabled. However all I ever had to do was tap cancel and it went away and only re-occurred after a restart. I never actually had to enter my AppleID. I haven’t seen this pop up again in quite a while now, I’m on 16.5.1. There were several long threads about this in the early days of 16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.