Update Apps on 1st Generation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by samdale, Jun 22, 2010.

1. samdale macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I still have my trust iPod Touch 1G and don't really feel the need to upgrade just yet.

However, I was wondering what the deal is with app updates. Will iTunes/App Store tell me that there are updates available. If so, if I update them and they are designed to work on iOS4 will they stop working on my iPod Touch?

Or will iTunes detect that I am running an old OS and not ask me to update them.

Hope that made sense. Thanks for your help

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

In the Apps section in iTunes, clicking 'Check For Updates' will tell you if app updates are available. If you open the App Store on your iPod touch and hit 'Updates' at the bottom you will find the same thing, and are able to update them there. With apps for 4.0, on your device updates for the new software will not appear as the App Store will detect what device you are running. iTunes, however, regardless of what device you have (after all, it doesn't know exactly what kind of iPod you're going to sync with it until it's actually syncing) will download the most recent version of the app if you tell it to. This way you may accidentally download a new version of an app that is compatible with 4.0 only, meaning it will be useless on your iPod. So if you want to update your apps, just check the app in the iTunes Store first as it will tell you what version of the software it is compatible with :)

3. samdale thread starter macrumors newbie

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

5. MacStu09 macrumors regular

I'm not sure about apps for 4.0, but my app store on my first gen showed updates for many apps that were updated for 3.0 and now none of those apps work after downloading the updates (And no, it wasn't through itunes. It was from the app store on my ipod). (I'm on 2.2.1) One of those apps being Facebook...so now I can't get that back until I get os3..which apparently I can't get currently because itunes 9.2 says 2.2.1 is the latest version...kind of lame.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

7. JamesP12345 macrumors newbie

Following on from the original question... I have a 1st gen iPod touch, that I am happy with and I have been able to go through the updates app by app as people have recommended further up and have only chose the updates that function with 3.1.3. However it is almost certain that I will be getting iPhone4 (my first iPhone) and will be wanting to use the same apps as I have for the touch on the iPhone. Is there any way of having latest update apps on the iPhone, whilst keeping the 3.1.3 compatible version on the iPod touch through the same iTunes? I was thinking I could update the relevant apps on the iPhone itself, but I presume the updates get synced back to iTunes as soon as it is connected?

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I dont think so.