Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Hey,

Last night I updated alot of my Movies Artwork and Descriptions in iTunes - I assumed that it would just update the files on the AppleTV but when I checked it later it was re-syncing all the movies again?

Is this correct?

Cheers

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Hey,

Last night I updated alot of my Movies Artwork and Descriptions in iTunes - I assumed that it would just update the files on the AppleTV but when I checked it later it was re-syncing all the movies again?

Is this correct?

Cheers

If I'm understanding you correctly, then yes. When you change those things in iTunes the file on your computer chages. When the AppleTV goes to sync, it will need to update the files stored on the AppleTV to match the ones on your computer. It sucks for big movie files that you have to re-sync a 2gb file everytime you make a small change.

brobins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks for you replys.

It does indeed suck! Seen as though I updated all 3 of my Lord of the Rings movies too - Return of the King is 10gb haha

Oh well

Thanks

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Thanks for you replys.

It does indeed suck! Seen as though I updated all 3 of my Lord of the Rings movies too - Return of the King is 10gb haha.

What bit-rate did you encode Return of the King at? My file is at something like 3.5 gigs or so for the extended version, and I can't tell the difference between the mp4 and the DVD. 10 gigs is huge!

Rich1963

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
I second that question. I just re-did LOTR: return of the king, and The mastered file from DVD2oneX is only 8 gigs pre-handbrake encode. 10 gigs?

brobins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
The source of ROTK was 1080p, I re-encoded it down to 720p @ 6000kbs with 2ch AAC and 5.1 AC3 - Quality is awsome

I was expecting around 8gb to be honest as the film is over 4 hours long!! I was going to re-encode with a lower bitrate to get a smaller file size but it plays fine and looks great so I decided to stick with it.

Fellowship is 7-8gb
Two Towers is 7gb

6000 Might be overkill, I duno? Saying that I have just encoded The Dark Night @ 6000 with 5.1 AC3 and that is under 4gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.