Update at Apple?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Love Juice, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Love Juice macrumors regular

if you get it an apple store, i know they activate it for you there. assuming all the models have 4.0 or 4.01 on it, do they update it to the newest fw for you there?

i only ask because my upgrade availability finally got taken care of, and i wanna pick up another ip4 (which of course I don't want them to so I can jb).

my last ip4 i had delivered at home, so I could do what I want. I just don't know what the in store process was.

anyone?

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

no at worst they will offer to update your firmware. Just tell them you will do it when you get home. get your ip4 quick better chance of getting 4.0 or 4.0.1 if you haven't ordered yet it's a good 2 week wait. Good chance it will have 4.0.2 or at least 4.0.1

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they dont.
    That could take over 10+ minutes.
    Imagine if they had to update each iphone they sold. They'd be there forever.
    They just activate it thats all.

5. Love Juice thread starter macrumors regular

i called today, and the closest apples store only had 16gb. i'll call again tomrow an hour after they open to see if they have any 32gb's. if not, i'll give bb / att / radio shack a try.

i'm just hoping for the latest production week to date, and i figured that would be from apple.

6. macattack87 macrumors member

if you bring your iphone to apple for service/repair

THEY WILL UPDATE IT TO THE LASTEST FIRMWARE

they have signs at the genius bar that state they will

if u are buying a new iphone however and out of the box it still has 4.0/4.0.1 the chances of them updating it to 4.0.2 are slim to none its just too time consuming

but if for example you have an iphone with 4.0 and you crack the glass and need to take it to apple to fix, they will fix your glass and give you back the phone with 4.0.2 on it

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It depends on the Apple rep.
    If its just a hardware issue like a glass repair they might just fix it and give it back to you.
    If you have software issues, signal drops and other stuff the first thing they will do is update or restore your phone to the latest iOS.

8. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Glad someone brought this up! my i4 actually needs to go to apple and be swapped out. for some reason the pop up keyboard works sometimes and other times you just type jibberish on it! after a few resets it will eventually work right.(did this before jb so not an issue there) I scheduled a genius bar appointment for friday afternoon, whats everyones opinion? 4.0.1 on a replacement from the apple store at this point still?? Im sure if the signing window for 4.0.1 isnt closed already that it will be by friday afternoon! If i get the replacement and it does by chance have 4.0.2 on it, can i just tell them i want my old i4 back and wait on swapping it out? possibly after 4.1 is released and new jb exploit is available??

9. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me if apple had all the stores go in and update the replacement i4s in stock to 4.0.2! If I'm not mistaken those black boxes that the replacement iphones come in are sealed in anyway, so it seems like it could be a project for the evening after the store is closed.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I've gotten a 3.0.1 replacement a decent bit after 3.1 came out, and I've gotten a 3.1.2 replacement a good bit after 3.1.3 came out. The genius's didn't bother updating after I specifically requested that they don't. You'll likely get away without 4.0.2

11. Black Vegeta macrumors member

You think you would have the right for them not to update the phone upon your request.