UPDATE: ATI/NVIDIA Combatibility in 2008 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thevibesman, Jan 18, 2008.

1. thevibesman macrumors regular

I was trying to figure out if I could mix the ATI 2600XT with the NVIDIA 8800GT in the same mac pro since I had heard that mixing drivers on the 2006 and 2007 Mac Pros was a problem. I checked Apple's Video Developers Note and found that any reference to this incompatibility on the 2006-7 Mac Pros was removed (problem solved?).

I called Apple Sales support about my order, first trying to squeeze more accurate ship info on my Mac Pro before I downgraded my configuration to the ATI 2600XT. I got transfered to technical support and was bounced around for well over an hour. Finally, I got the guy to do a round table consult over iChat and here is what the video guys had to say. They didn't see any reason why there would be a problem for me to use 4 displays running processing off the NVIDIA 8800GT in slot 1 and using an ATI 2600XT in slot two for extra outputs, but the caveat is that the guys who this answer came from don't have the 2008 model, so no 100% guarantee it until the 8800GTs were available. I'm sticking with the 8800GT for now, and when my tower gets here, I'm going to bring my card to an AppleStore and see if I can convince them to let me pop it in slot 1 on a standard build floor model to test compatibility. What would be really nice is if some benchmarking site out there would test a Mac Pro with two 8800GTs versus 1x8800GT and 1x2600XT to see if there are any performance issues introduced by using the two drivers.

2. markw10 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info.

I purchased a new Mac Pro with a ATI card. I wanted to go with NVidia but was unable to wait since my older computer had to be replaced ASAP. I will be driving 3 monitors and am deciding between an ATI or the NVidia. I really want to go with NVidia but have been concerned about compatibility.

3. choreo macrumors regular

choreo

Same thing here. I run 3 CRTs (23" Sonys). I just ordered a new Mac Pro and the Apple Store Salesman told me that I could not mix the two cards on the new Mac Pro (who really knows). I wanted to use the 8800 in slot one and the 2600 in slot two. Anyway, I caved and just ordered the two ATI 2600's - I am tired of beta-testing.

One thing I have learned the past 18 years is that all the speed claims in the world can be quenched by a single incompatibility. I have lost FAR more time in tracking down incompatibilities, researching/downloading/installing patches, waiting for reboots, apps to launch and so on, than I ever lost in waiting for a Photoshop or After Effects filter to complete it's work!

4. thevibesman thread starter macrumors regular

I canceled my order and reordered my Mac Pro with an ATI 2600XT instead and am having my a NVIDIA 8800GT sent to me separately because I just couldn't wait for it. I'm hoping that I made the right gamble and that they will be compatible. I decided to make this bet because about 6 months ago Apple removed the ATI/NVIDIA incompatibility statement from their Video Devs Note. When my 8800GT finally arrives, I'll post the results.

5. markw10 macrumors 6502

I'm sure once the 8800 GT is out we'll see many posts about whether this works or not. I am swinging both ways and am not sure what to do. I think really no one knows until many people are using it. I don't want to risk an unstable system but if it works fine it's definitely the way I want to go