update both devices simultaneously

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mouse man, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Mouse man Suspended

Mouse man

Can I update the watch and phone at the same time? Watch is currently installing so I wasn't sure if it would suspend that update or not

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I think once the watch starts installing its independent of the device. You can verify this because it no longer shows connected to bluetooth on your iPhone. But personally, I would not try it. Not worth the risk.

3. DeNachtwacht macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

No it's not possible. You need the 10.3 update to be able to do the 3.2 update.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The phone updates the watch so I would update the phone first. Trying to do both at the same time is not wise and I am betting Apple will not allow.

5. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Actually it CAN'T work since wOS is baked into iOS. So you must have the most current version of iOS because it contains important elements for the new wOS that aren't present in an older iOS.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Now that I think about it, how were you installing watchOS 3.2 if you had not previously updated your phone? Just as everyone above me mentioned.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

OT but I have updated my watch multiple times and just downloading the update to the phone seems to take for ever. I have VERY fast WiFi but it seems to crawl while doing this one thing.

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

And it is a small file size too but it does take 'forever' to download every time.

I'm going to guess that Apple has many, MANY thousands of detected servers for iOS updates since it is the flagship. Probably besides having a more limited number for wOS users and servers to handle Apple may even prioritize it's bandwidth below iOS and MacOS.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I don't think its the download that is slow, but its the transfer to the device that is slow. I believe that the bottleneck. Only so much can transfer via BT. If the watch used its internal WiFi to download, then it would be much faster.

10. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Could be but BT is 25Mbps (25Mbps=188MB per minute) and the download is only about 250MB (if I remember correctly) and that can be transferred over BT in less than 2 minutes. Of course this would be a near ideal rate but I find it takes a LOT longer. Also the :apple:Watch and iPhone probably use some 'secret sauce' WiFi integration too (like AirPlay).

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The download to my iPhone 7+ is VERY slow for me. How long did yours take to download the update to you iPhone, not the watch.

12. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Yes, I think you are right. It says downloading to the :apple:Watch but I think it is only downloading to the iPhone and only goes to the :apple:Watch during the instal. Last night my :apple:Watch was about 10% when I downloaded and it didn't seem to effect the :apple:Watch battery. So I think it is only going to the iPhone until the actually instal process.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It took 8 minutes to download, and a good 15 minutes to prepare. But its not downloading to your 7Plus. Its downloading and immediately transferring to the Watch. That is the bottleneck.

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you, but that is definitely a theoretical speed. USB 3.0 has a theoretical speed of 640MBps, but in reality you get about 100-150MBps. So if we say BT is really only transferring at 10Mbps, we should see it happen in about 4 minutes. Now that doesn't happen either, but I'm sure the storage read/write speed on the device is very slow. Which adds an additional bottleneck.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    I don't think it goes to the phone, because it doesn't show up in phone storage. And when downloading, it says 'downloading to watch'. I will get a screenshot when I do my GF's watch later tonight.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not so sure about it downloading to the watch, always thought it was downloading to the phone first and THEN the phone sends it to the watch and after it downloads it updates.

My phone took 30-40 minutes to download the update and when I tried to hit install the warning come that it has to be not only at 50 or more but also needs to be on the charger so I had to wait till I got to the office to finish.

15. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Try this. Power her :apple:Watch off and see if it will download.;)

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Did you do it right at 10AM PDT or later in the day. I did mine right away so it might have been a server issue. The only time my updates take that long to download are X.0 releases. It took less than 40 minutes for the download, prepare and install on my S0.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    It won't. It says watch can't be found. I had issues with installing 3.0 on my watch cause it kept dropping connection. Had to unpair and repair.

You get a pop up saying Wacth cannot be found make sure it's powered on and airplane mode is off.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did it at 3:30 am EST.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Well there goes that hypothesis. Unless the servers were having issues. But unlikely.

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

A few days late, but here it is nonetheless. It downloads from the phone directly to the watch. I watched the storage of my the iPhone and it never went down. So the iPhone is a channel directly to the watch. Took 8 minutes to download. 12 minutes to prepare.
    IMG_0018.PNG

20. alichoudhry macrumors newbie

21. JackieInCo macrumors 603

To update the watch, yes. To use a watch on 10.1, no.