Update Choices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhyalus, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hello All,

I have an early 2011 MBP 13" (320GB HD, 8GB RAM, Base i5), and I am going to install a Samsung 840 500GB SSD.

I am thinking that rather than clone from the old HD, it may be time to move from Snow Leopard and just reinstall my apps and move over some data from the original hard drive.

So what do you guys think - purchase Mountain Lion and format SSD HD with the new OS?

This is my mobile platform, so I really don't have tons of stuff on the current machine. I can easily reinstall and move over my files via external USB drive.

I am concerned about stability, and it seems that a new OS on the new HD is a good way to go. My most common use is MS Office 2011, web and video.

Thanks,
    R

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I would go for a clean install personally and go for Mountain Lion.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I also agree with a complete clean install - especially since you have few docs/apps to transfer.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Me too. Then use migration assistant to migrate all data, programs, and settings from time machine backup. It might see old HDD as another computer and migrate from that also.

5. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Thanks guys...

One other minor question... I assume that I can buy Mountain Lion on my current MBP at the Appstore but not install it. I can just cut a bootable CD from that download, correct?

Regards,
    R

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

You can definitely create a bootable USB drive with it, guessing there is some way of getting it onto DVD.